Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
ven though Apple added fullscreen viewing to the latest QuickTime update, i still feel the need to upgrade to QuickTime Pro in order to be able to download movie trailers and easily record clips with my iSight.

However, i notice that the price works out cheaper if i buy it from the USA online Apple Store than if i get it from the UK online Apple Store (£14 versus £20)…

I wondered if anyone has any experience of buying non-physical items (it's just a code Apple email to you as far as i understand) from the US store instead of their own countries' store? Will it work? any drawbacks?

Also, i've read that the Pro keys stop giving full Pro functionality for Pro features of the next major release of QuickTime. With that in mind, will there be such an update with Leopard (i.e. QuickTime 8)?

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Sorry, I know this doesn't answer your question but I'm pretty sure you don't need to register to be able to view movie trailers.

Feel free to correct me :)

CortexRock

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2006
Canterbury, England
I can't see any reason why an activation code bought from the US store wouldn't work in the UK/Europe - unless they check the address your credit/debit card is assigned to and that somehow throws a spanner in the works.

Even if you do upgrade to 7 Pro, you could always choose not to upgrade QuickTime when the new version comes out...

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
Sorry, I know this doesn't answer your question but I'm pretty sure you don't need to register to be able to view movie trailers.

Feel free to correct me :)

Thanks for the replies. It's the ability to download movie trailers (save to my Mac), rather than view them (on the net) that i partly want the Pro version for…

(some trailers, teasers especially, are just so good eg. the Transformers teaser & they seem to be hard to find after the hype machine moves onto the next film.)

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
In case anyone reads this thread wondering the same thing as I was, I've since found out (from another board i posted to) that it's not possible to get the code from the USA store using a UK credit card. (Cheers Nivag!)

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
I'd also like to know when Quicktime 8 is supposed to/rumored/predicted to be released.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
While it is nice to have the functionality built-in to quicktime, there's a way around it that can be found here.

I'm currently testing the functionality of this to see if it still works (I'm on Firefox/WinXP, but it should work cross-platform).

EDIT: It looks like it does work. I'm downloading the Bourne Ultimatum trailer right now, but the 720p trailer is taking a little while to completely load.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
Thanks for the replies. It's the ability to download movie trailers (save to my Mac), rather than view them (on the net) that i partly want the Pro version for…

(some trailers, teasers especially, are just so good eg. the Transformers teaser & they seem to be hard to find after the hype machine moves onto the next film.)

Yeah, there are ways to manually download them. It's not as easy as clicking a menu, but it works.

Also, you can record movies with your iSight in iMovie.

ab2650

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
I wondered if anyone has any experience of buying non-physical items (it's just a code Apple email to you as far as i understand) from the US store instead of their own countries' store? Will it work? any drawbacks?

Looking at my order confirmation, there is no mention of export, limits to the U.S., etc. I'd be surprised if the code sent doesn't work since it's instant delivery.

Now buying QT7 now vs. waiting for QT8 is your choice, but if you need it now, buy it now. If you can wait, then wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.