Quicktime Pro or not?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RedCroissant, Jul 10, 2013.

1. RedCroissant Suspended

Is buying a Quicktime Pro license a good idea or are there other free applications that are just as good? For example, RealPlayer has a video download feature but its converter doesn't work very well with the PPC architecture on my iBook. I have iMovie '09 and can create and convert videos that way. I also use Handbrake but for larger files that just takes way too long and uses up too many resources.

Does anyone have any advice? I don't mind using more than one application to do certain things, but if one application(even if it costs money) can do it better than the others combined, then I would go with the single application.

Thanks for your time and help!

2. ylrd macrumors member

ylrd

3. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Despite being old, quicktime pro is really great.

4. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

I Have tried it and it just takes up too many resources for my taste. Even now I launched it and it was difficult for me to even respond to this post or even fetch my mail. I think it also has memory leaks and not only did it immediately take up 20% of available RAM, it also started filling up inactive memory so my system just starts slowing down a lot at that point.

And I've heard that, I just wanted to have some idea as to what it can do by itself that would normally take more than one app to do especially since it is $30 and I wouldn't want to be disappointed with the purchase and not be able to get my money back.

My thoughts also revolved around the fact that it was designed by Apple for their own machines and so "should" perform better simply because it was designed for the machines that will be running it. I know on this PPC machine that the performance might not be as great as on an Intel one, but I was still thinking that it would do a better job than the PPC versions of Handbrake, RealPlayer, Miro, etc.