Quicktime Pro trimming and/or file saving abilities?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ndriver182, Oct 6, 2008.

1. ndriver182 macrumors 6502a

Can anybody tell me if QT Pro allows you to open and trim .m4v files without a problem? I have Toast 8 and it converts programs I've pulled off of my Tivo into .m4v files, which is fine, but I was hoping I'd be able to trim off the misc. commercials at the beginning and end of a program so I don't have to watch that on my iphone also. I'm sure I can't remove the commercials in between, but if I can at least just cut the junk from before and after the show that would be nice.

Another option might be to convert the movie into .mp4 so that I could edit it in iMovie. Does QT Pro have the ability to re-encode from .m4v to .mp4?

Thanks!

2. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

If you're just looking for basic trimming... all you need is the free MPEG Streamclip. You can trim anywhere, not just at the beginning or end. You basically use the 'i' and 'o' keys to set 'in' and 'out' points, basically the video equivalent of selecting a block of text. You can then use the cut tool (command-x) to take out what you selected. It's lossless, too, so there's no re-encoding required.

3. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

I just tried QT PRO with a .m4v video, it trims fine but choosing the standard save option will save the file as a .mov. (When inspecting this mov file, the video format is h.264).

This means you'll have to export rather than save.

Yes, QT Pro enables you to re encode a .m4v file into a .mp4 file.

4. Habusho macrumors 6502

BTW adding Perian to QTPro drastically increases the type of files you can play on QT.

5. ndriver182 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Worked like an absolute charm. Kudos to you! Exactly what I was looking for :D

6. jonathansmith68 macrumors newbie

I can't seem to figure out how save the video file after applying the trim and NOT have it re-encode. The only options I see are "Save As..." and "Export as MP4." I don't see a simple "Save" option. I'm guessing "Export as MP4" would do a re-encode, and the "Save As..." option does not allow me to keep the same file name, instead asks that I give it a new name. After doing so I get a progress bar... either this is just copying the video to the new file name or it's re-encoding the video (which is what I do not want).

Anyone have any suggestions? Anyone know if this "Save As..." is re-encoding it or not?

7. superduperultra macrumors member

Revive! Does anyone know anything about this?