Quicktime Pro Upgrades

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BulkHedd, May 4, 2007.

1. BulkHedd macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

I was thinking about spending the $30 to upgrade to Quicktime Pro. If I do that, and then in, say, a couple of weeks Apple releases Quicktime 8.0 with some nifty new features, what are my options? It appears to me that I can:

(1) stick with version 7.x
    (2) upgrade to Quicktime Player 8 to get the new features, but be left without Pro features
    (3) pay $30 again.

Am I correct in my thinking?

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Maybe the your QT 7 Pro key will also be valid for QT 8 Pro..?

On some older QT version updates the older Pro key still worked on the newer release (QT 3 and 4 IIRC), but not always.

Also, I am not sure when QT 8 wil be released. Could be a while yet...
    The version currently running in the Leopard beta's is 7.2, I think.

If you want the features now, I would pay the $ 30 now.

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

My QT 6 key didn't work with 7. I doubt 7 will work with 8. You might be better off waiting for 8 to roll around but really who knows when that will be. The soonest will probably be when OS X 10.5 comes out but ya never know.

4. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

your thinking is correct. a QT 7 key will not transfer to QT 8.

given that we're only on QT 7.1.6, i would say you don't have much to worry about. and if you need the features that Pro offers, you don't really have a choice. but my guess is you'll get your $30 worth before 8 is released.

5. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

I agree. It seems that a major revision is a ways away. If you need it now, then purchase it now.

6. Klrbee25 macrumors member

I've been considering upgrading to Pro as well. I'm just getting frustrated with not having true full-screen mode. That being said, I have trouble justifying $30 just to add some black borders to my screen. Could someone share some other worthwhile 'pro' features that might help justify the upgrade?

Thanks,

Alex

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Just looking at the revision history...(source)

QT 1 - 12/91
    QT 2 - 2/94
    QT 3 - 3/98
    QT 4 - 6/99
    QT 5 - 4/01
    QT 6 - 7/02
    QT 7 - 4/05

The major releases are relatively spaced out. I've been a Mac user since 12/03, for instance, and I've only seen one major revision to QT in that time. I don't have QT Pro, mind you, but....

EDIT: Alex, if fullscreen playback (which, pssh, should be in the free quicktime, since most of the other pro features are for content creation and not playback, which is really a consumer issue) is all you want, then check this out:

http://osxdaily.com/2007/01/30/play-quicktime-movies-full-screen-without-quicktime-pro/

8. mchristopherson macrumors newbie

I would suggest going for the quicktime pro upgrade now, I don't think they will have a new version for a while, but then again maybe they had to upgrade for Final Cut. You might want to wait until the begining of June. Just a thought.

9. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

It seems like a lot of clips can be saved to your desktop w/ one easy click.
    It's super easy to make audio and video recordings.
    And yeah, the fullscreen playback, too. :p

But honestly? I really think it's worth it to me so I can easily save clips and make 'em, too.

10. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

As for QT8 Pro costing money for QT7 Pro users... I have two thoughts.

1. In the past, QT Pro has required a new key when the new version included new codecs that cost money. (QT6 included MPEG-4 and H.263, QT7 included H.264.) So if QT8 doesn't include any new licensed codecs, it should be a 'free' upgrade for QT7 users.

2. But... Apple seems to like to draw in money whenever/wherever possible now. (Just look at the money to enable 802.11n, when all major accountants have said it's not required as Apple claims it is.) So it is, of course, possible that Apple will charge for EVERY upgrade from now on.

I'm hoping for #1, but realistically preparing for #2.

11. Klrbee25 macrumors member

12. Allstermac macrumors member

Allstermac

Wtf?

I have (HAD) QT pro... today I get an automatic update to 7.16... I do and now it wants the $$ to get pro again:mad: I just bought it a month ago! Do I wait for ver 8? Does anyone know for sure if the next upgrade will cost Again?

13. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Have you tried simply re-entering your serial # and whatnot? :) I'm pretty sure it should still work.

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

15. Allstermac macrumors member

Allstermac

I tried the serial # and it did not work... I went to the system update ad checked... below is what it said... I shoulda read this before I updated!

16. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Um. It worked for me.

Not to mention, this part? Re-read it again.
    Maybe I'm really dense, but that reads to me, that QT7 will render QTPro 6 and earlier versions non-Pro. Shouldn't impact other versions of 7.

17. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Yup. I think the OP had <v6 and therefore disabled himself. Sucks. You might be able to convince apple that you bought the wrong upgrade if you actually bought a v6 upgrade *very* recently. Dunno.

18. Allstermac macrumors member

Allstermac

Opps...my wrong... I miss typed my### not once but 2 times... had my better half try and it worked... For what its worth, she already called me a dumb **** and told me not to ask her for stupid things again:eek:

19. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

I purchased QT Pro one week after I got my macbook.

It's been worth it for me I guess, just cause I save a lot of web content. I have all the mac ads from the last year saved in HD for instance and many other short automotive clips.

I was using VLC for a while but to be honest quick time pro with perian is a much better solution. It doesn't crash like VLC does.

I would expect QT 8 no sooner than when we see HDDVD or Blu-Ray drives in macs. So likely no sooner than October.

20. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

According to the QuickTime entry on Wikipedia, these are the release dates of the major releases of QuickTime. (3.0 was the first version that used the license code for Pro features)

1.0 - Latter part of 1992
    2.0 - February, 1994
    3.0 - March 30, 1998
    4.0 - June 8, 1999
    5.0 - April 14, 2001
    6.0 - July 15, 2002
    7.0 - April 29, 2005 (Tiger release date)

Not sure if we can deduce anything from these dates, but here they are anyways.

FWIW, I would say buy 7 if you need it. It's worth it.

21. BulkHedd thread starter macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

I appreciate all the responses. I decided to go ahead and buy it. Mostly I want to be able to easily and quickly save videos, but I also like the easy audio/video recording you can do with it. I know I could use iMovie and Garageband, but Quicktime is simpler.