QuickTime Pro Users

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by BuzWeaver, Jun 20, 2007.

1. BuzWeaver macrumors regular

BuzWeaver

I'm considering getting QuickTime Pro to convert .wmv or .avi files to use in iMovie (.mov format), is QuickTime Pro able to convert these 'as is' in QuickTime or does it still require a plug-in?

2. banjomamo macrumors regular

3. BuzWeaver thread starter macrumors regular

BuzWeaver

That's what I was concerned with. What I'm doing is editing video clips in iMovie and naturally using Flip4Mac (free shareware) I get a Trial Version Message right in the center of all my video.

So essentially I'm having to purchase both QuickTime Pro and Flip4Mac or even VLC?

4. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

Yeah, flip4mac kind of takes over file exporting in QT Pro. Exporting a mpeg4 clip, which I'm able to do in QT Pro, now gets the flippin flip4mac watermark right across the screen! What a crock of BS!

I suppose that's their way of getting people to upgrade; to ruin your existing software so you buy flip4mac.

I was so disgusted that I uninstalled flip4mac until I can find another decent codec or a decent stand alone player. VLC doesn't seem to run smooth, at least not on my PowerMac.

5. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

Use Visual Hub for converting videos. It's much better money spent then on QT Pro.

6. Hmac macrumors 68020

I just bit the bullet and popped for the full version of Flip4Mac. I'm glad I did - it works very well.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I have the free version of F4M, the player, and QT Pro. I export all the time and don't see any messages on my output. Maybe it's only with files set to be read by the F4M writer trial.

There are other free programs to do this with WMP files, but none that are very good.

8. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

iSquint can convert to mpeg4, which you can import to iMovie, and is free.

9. BuzWeaver thread starter macrumors regular

BuzWeaver

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a look at them.

10. BuzWeaver thread starter macrumors regular

BuzWeaver

This may be because the F4M on the QT Pro is a just a plug-in and most likely doesn't require you purchase F4M.

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You don't have to purchase it to play WMP files, but to export/convert to WMP, yes, you need to register it or get the watermark with the trial. My point was just that with the free plugin, not registered or paid for, you could still convert, say, a DIVX AVI to mp4 without the watermark. As long as you have the right divx codec. Just wanted to make that clear for those who might have misunderstood thinking the free plugin watermarked everything, or that the free one converts anything without QT Pro.

You shouldn't get a watermark converting from WMP to QT with QT Pro though, you can use the free F4M plugin to read, and QT Pro to write.