Quicktime Pro Video Conversion Help

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Vandalart, May 3, 2009.

1. Vandalart macrumors newbie

Hey, guys. Here's what's up:
    I have a bunch of Matroska videos that I'd like to convert to .mp4 so I can stream them from my iMac to my Xbox 360. Quicktime is my favorite conversion software, as I've tried a whole slew of programs. My problem is that the passthrough option in the video export settings is greyed out for certain .mkv files. I've noticed that the .mkv files that don't support the passthrough option are not true 720p or 1080p resolutions, they have strange dimensions. I'm wondering if this is the problem? If so, I'd really appreciate some help on how to fix this! Thanks in advance.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

3. Vandalart thread starter macrumors newbie

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Sorry, haha, that was my only suggestion...maybe you should post this in the Digital Video category of the forum?

5. Vandalart thread starter macrumors newbie

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

VLC is supposed to be able to do this conversion. If it doesn't do what you want, then try MKVtools, formerly MoKgVm2DVD.

7. akulavolk macrumors newbie

This might help

I've tried a number of other "conversion" programs for .mkv files, but they try to reencode the video. The recommendations to use a package OTHER than QT Pro may work, but they can take days to reencode and you'll lose quality or bloat file sizes...needlessly. Don't go there.

I've had a few problems with the "pass through" option being grayed out in an .mkv file. Here are some easy things to fix that:

1) Wait for it.... No, really, wait for it. When you open an .mkv file in QuickTime Pro with Perian, it takes a while to load. Wait until the progress bar at the bottom of the window fills up 100% so that your export menu and its options are there.

2) Some .mkv options, like subtitles, will make it impossible to export video in passthrough mode since it would have to overlay the subtitles on the video. Make sense? To turn these off, go to Window > Show Movie Properties (command-J) and uncheck non-video or audio tracks. Usually subtitles are the problem. Close the Movie Properties window and try exporting again. Your pass through option is likely there, now.

8. hazoomeh macrumors member