Quicktime Pro?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Big Tav, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Big Tav macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I am running Lion on my Macbook Pro and wanted to know about Quicktime Pro. As far as I can see the latest quicktime pro is Version 7. I have the free player that you get with Lion that is Version 10.1.

Is the older 7 Pro better than the free 10.1 or is the 10.1 the best?

Cheers.

2. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Personally, I find the old Quicktime Pro (ver 7.6.6) much more useful and versatile than ver 10.1. Particularly where cutting pasting and joining clips is concerned.

3. Big Tav thread starter macrumors newbie

So should I go back to the older Pro or just keep what I've got? What runs better with Lion?

4. JDrive macrumors member

Quicktime 7 pro works perfectly fine on Lion. I actually replaced most video file associations to open with Quicktime 7 using RCDefaultApp. It's a powerful system preference pane that lets you manage the default applications of any file type.

5. Big Tav thread starter macrumors newbie

But should I replace the free QuickTime X version with QuickTime pro 7 or keep X?

6. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

You can keep both. QuickTime X is called "QuickTime Player" and the older version will be named "QuickTime Player 7" so there won't be a naming conflict.

If you have a Pro key, QTP7 is still much more versatile when it comes to trimming, recording, and editing video properties. You also get a 'proper' export dialog box.

7. Starship77 macrumors regular

Starship77

Replacement for Quicktime 7 Pro

Hi, I'm reviving this thread because, with the latest Lion update (10.7.4), quicktime 7 no longer loops any video (The Loop function is disabled and greyed out). This function is vital for me, so I'm working with Quicktime X.

The problem is that Quicktime X still lacks a lot of Quicktime 7's features, so I'm looking for another application that can really replace Quicktime 7 on the mac. Is there any?? :confused:

Thanks!

8. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Correct. Apple replaces QuickTime 7 APIs in Mountain Lion with a new API.

Both versions are supported:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3678
    ...and QT7 runs good on 10.7.x.