QuickTime Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by migulic, Jun 9, 2008.

1. migulic macrumors member

I'm wondering whether I should buy QuickTime Pro or not - what can QT Pro do that iMovie/iTunes can't already? When I look at the feature set, it seems as if QT Pro just adds a subset of iMovie's features to QuickTime. Is this correct or am I mistaken?

2. ilovebananas macrumors member

quickest way to answer your question is to advise you just to look up quicktime on Wikipedia.
    Hope this helps

3. migulic thread starter macrumors member

I did, and my question still stands: doesn't iMovie do all those things too? If so, what's the point in a QuickTime Pro for OS X (I understand a Windows version since there's no iMovie for Windows)?

4. ilovebananas macrumors member

I see your point.
    QT Pro allows you to do a little bit more than itunes/quicktime.
    For instance neither of those 2 will accept a DIVX file input. QT Pro will and will let you edit/convert it. You also get support for multiple other codecs that imovie/itunes won't accept.
    However there are many free programs that will let you do the same things (Mpeg stream clip, FFMPEGX....). QT Pro is just the easiest as it has the widest support and is IMO the easiest to use.

5. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

You can go into fullscreen which standard quicktime can't. Although this can be done in VLC player.

6. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

You can also save QuickTime movies that you view on the web which you can't do without Pro. I can't tell you how many times a friend has found a video online that's QT and they asked me to save it for them.

Also came in handy when I saved all the US and UK "Get a Mac" ads in HD. :) Now the UK ones are gone and the US ones won't be around much longer. Yay for Pro! :cool:

7. Fuchal macrumors 68020

You can go fullscreen in standard quicktime.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Yes and no. QuickTime Pro was available years before iMovie was even thought of. However, QuickTime Pro is an editor. It can modify an existing video or create a new one.

9. ilovebananas macrumors member

For newappleboy

Don't know how to as this in private.
    Newappleboy. Any chance you could somehow supply me with the uk apple ads in HD. i had them and they where the one thing i forgot to back up.
    would be happy to download or if to big could post you a blank dvd and return envelope.
    Have hunted high and low and can't seem to find them
    Thanks

Strange question I know but I would like them just for posterity's sake. Seeing as they are now dead in the UK

10. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I use QT Pro for saving QT videos from pages and some encoding.

11. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

I've actually considered Torrenting them since they aren't necessarily copyrighted material (as far as I know) and it wouldn't be illegal to distribute without monetary gain. I also have the old Japan ads, but they are by no means HD. I wish they were. :( If anyone else is interested, I can try and build my first torrent tonight and provide the link here.

12. ilovebananas macrumors member

Torrent would be great or to save you work could just to transfer via ichat, msn. Would take time by would require less effort on your behalf.
    If you want to torrent then please do and post the link, would be very grateful