Quicktime Pro

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Pyrotechnic, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Pyrotechnic macrumors 6502

Pyrotechnic

Is purchasing Quicktime Pro worth it.

I have a variety of video formats on my Mac, e.g.. MP4, MPEG and AVI. In fact the majority are AVI.

I am a new switcher from PC and it looks like the purchase of QT Pro will allow me to convert the many videos to a format playable on my Mac. I also have an iphone which looks like its fully supported by the pro version.

So the question is, is it worth paying the $30 or so to upgrade or would I be wasting my money ?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Pro is good for some things, but from what you described, you would be better off using VLC and exporting the files in the formats you want.

TEG

3. Pyrotechnic thread starter macrumors 6502

Pyrotechnic

Ahh, I thought VLC was simply a player and not able to convert. I saw it on a friends Mac. It was the cone icons that stood out.

4. jackerin macrumors 6502a

If a video does not play in the standard Quicktime, it will not play in Quicktime Pro either.

If you have an AVI that you can't play, try installing Perian and Flip4Mac.

5. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

If all you're doing is converting videos then VideoMonkey or FilmRedux might do the job.

If you only need them to be iPod quality, then install PunyVid, which can be found in the same package as FilmRedux.