Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolsoldier

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
The 909
Yesterday I updated to QuickTime 6.4, and it worked fine. Today, though, QT audio playback doesn't work at all.

In QuickTime player (and finder previews, safari, etc.) it just plays through movies (and even sound files) without making any sound. (Other sounds, like finder alerts, still work, so I know my sound system works)

Also, in iTunes, when I try to play a song, it changes everything as if it's playing, but the "remaining time" doesn't count down (so it's not playing through the song file at all). It just sits there until I hit the pause button. There's no strange messages in the console, and since it never actually crashes, there's no crash log...

Anybody have any ideas?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Re: QuickTime Problem; Can Anybody Help?

Originally posted by coolsoldier
Yesterday I updated to QuickTime 6.4, and it worked fine. Today, though, QT audio playback doesn't work at all.

In QuickTime player (and finder previews, safari, etc.) it just plays through movies (and even sound files) without making any sound. (Other sounds, like finder alerts, still work, so I know my sound system works)

Also, in iTunes, when I try to play a song, it changes everything as if it's playing, but the "remaining time" doesn't count down (so it's not playing through the song file at all). It just sits there until I hit the pause button. There's no strange messages in the console, and since it never actually crashes, there's no crash log...

Anybody have any ideas?
Check your sound output. Make sure that your speakers have power and are turned on.

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2002
I think I may know your problem, I'm using Panther so it may be a bit different for you (or not).

Go to Sys Prefs->Quicktime->Plugins->MIME Settings.

Check that everything is as should be and make sure that sound with movies is enabled.
As for not counting down, can't help ya.

coolsoldier

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
The 909
Speakers aren't the problem -- other sounds (like alert sounds and even RealPlayer work just fine)

Also, the plugin settings seem to be right -- anyway I don't think the problem's in the plugin because QT Player and iTunes don't work either.

Oh well, I'll try downloading and installing QuickTime from scratch. That's the only thing I can think of...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.