Quicktime problem

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by imofean, Jul 20, 2011.

1. imofean macrumors newbie

Whenever I open an avi file, a pop up window appear and require me to open it by using quicktime 7. However that file could be play by quicktime x on SL and Quick look could watch it normally too.

I could still play the file by using QT 7 or VlC but it is pretty annoying :((

Don't know how to fix it

2. Jonasvdc macrumors newbie

Jonasvdc

Same issue here (already installed perian and flip4mac).

3. bscardin macrumors newbie

Me too.

I am not too fond of "Me Too" posts but I haven't found much buzz about this yet online so I wanted to add what I can. I just installed Lion last night and I am having troubles with several .mov files where it says "you must install quicktime 7". I could open these files before the update and I can open them on other Macs that have not been updated. I did have Perian installed and have since uninstalled it with no change in behavior.

If I transcode it on another mac (Save As -> AppleTV format) then it does work again. I imagine the original .mov is a bit malformed but, as I said, it worked before. I tried opening it in VLC and it kind of worked but it was flakey. There may be a technical issue with the original .mov but there seems to be some system change that is less tolerant.