Quicktime Problems - New Mac User on brand new MBA.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Raggs, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Raggs macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Bought my very first Mac today (MBA 13" 256 I7) :D

I am just trying to figure stuff out and learning how to do things. One question i have is that i have some tv shows saved on an ext hard rive and Quicktime won't play them. It says it is missing Codecs.

I have downloaded DIV X for Mac as DivX always fixed things on my PC laptop. However whilst i can now play video through the DivX player my questions are;

1. How do i get the native quicktime to take the codecs?
    2. Is there an alternative Mac native player that i could use instead that is better than quicktime other than the DivX player?

Thanks

2. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

3. Raggs thread starter macrumors newbie

I converted many of my dvds many years ago as was easier to take with me when went to uni, then moved out of home etc. I have most of my TV shows as digital now. Also at the time on my uni network we had one massive shared network where you download what others have so also have a vast library of stuff from there. The uni eventually put a stop to that.

Nowdays i just get stuff off iTunes etc but my original question was for all my historic stuff which are mostly AVIs.

DIVx player seems to play everything but just wondered if there was another player which i could use or could update quicktime to work.

Thanks for your response.

4. johnnypalmera macrumors newbie

You want this http://perian.org/

It will allow any file to play on native quicktime, plus will provide QuickLook plugins for the Finder.

I am still to find a file it doesn't play :) Furthermore, it supports subtitles, etc just fine.

5. Raggs thread starter macrumors newbie

Excellent, works a treat!

Thanks!