Quicktime probs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stuartm, Feb 25, 2011.

1. stuartm macrumors member

Hi
    Im busy trying to ttansfer stuff from old G4 to (new to me) G5.

i cant play my videos now on the G5 and I normaly just used quick time on the G4 and it was fine. But when locating QT on the G5 it is asking for a number/ref.
    Ive tried the usual downloads but my videos wont play they still play fine on the G4 they are mainly of AVI type

EEhKKKK
    helps please.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

On your G5, download and install the latest versions of the Perian and Flip4Mac QuickTime codecs as well as any other codecs that you have installed on your G4.

3. steiney macrumors 6502

Another alternative would be to get VLC. It's free and plays anything. The only problem is the playback scrolling is not as smooth.

4. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

If I recall correctly, they took the .avi function out of Quicktime a few years back and started selling an add on .avi codec.

Like was said, try VLC.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

That is complete and total nonsense.

6. stuartm thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

Thanks for all the responses, I will down load as suggested. Best.

7. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

What do you mean? A little explanation would be helpful.

8. jackerin macrumors 6502a

I would say the burden of proof lays on the one who made the "if I recall correctly"-statement...

9. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

UUhhh, NO. If I recall incorrectly, show me.

10. jackerin macrumors 6502a

So instead of you finding a press release or an article where it says that Apple has made the AVI playback commercial, you want me to find an article that says it's not? Even though it has never been? <sarcasm>Sounds logical.</sarcasm> How about I claim there is a teapot in orbit around the sun, does that mean you are required to find evidence for the opposite?

The AVI parser in Quicktime is a pretty strict implementation, it didn't do large filesizes or MP3 audio or some of the other hacks to the fileformat. For this reason various extensions added support for some of these features.

11. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The most bizarre thing about your assertion is that you claim [to have heard] that there is commercial codec required for .avi files. Yet you failed to give the name of the mysterious codec, its price, or who sells it.