QuickTime question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by VelvetElegance, Jul 12, 2007.

1. VelvetElegance macrumors regular

I have a video file with and ext of .avi. When I try to open this file in QuickTime, I get a message saying some necessary QT software is missing and I am directed to the QT page that lists a bunch of downloadable components. How am I supposed to know which components I am missing? Is there a simpler way to view this .avi file, or better yet, how can I convert the file to a file type recognized by iTunes?

2. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

easiest to just download VLC - it reads (and can export) just about anything. Quicktime should have been able to open an avi i would have thought, but maybe it's a funky encoding.. Quicktime will export for iTunes etc, but AFAIK only in the paid Pro version.

3. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

It can read it with Perian. :)
    Better option than VLC, imo because it also affects Front Row.

4. rcarricato macrumors newbie

rcarricato

yea what he said VLC is probably the easiest even though I have never needed to use it because quicktime has played everything. But to convert I would probably go with visualhub

5. mcnees287 macrumors newbie

VLC is not the easiest perain is easy because its just a simple plug in for quictime. No need to have a whole other program when you can just use a simple plugin.

6. VelvetElegance thread starter macrumors regular