Quicktime Recording in Lion Uses 2x Data

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by swingerofbirch, Aug 20, 2011.

1. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I finally upgraded to Lion, and I hate to be one of those people, but it's been an aggravating experience, quite a few hiccups with MobileMe syncing, total confusion with versions and resume, an iPhoto scroll bar bug that's too complicated to explain, and I'm at a loss for words over Address Book--once the simplest most utilitarian application, now incomprehensible. I finally figured out the whole app is controlled with the red bookmark tag and I won't go on because the loss of that simple, elegant app to its current state is painful . . .

But the most vexing so far has been my issue with Quicktime which, when recording video at the same resolution as in SL, now uses twice the kbts/sec creating files that are twice the size. It also runs the fans much louder. I record video using the built-in iSight camera on my mid-2010 13" MBP. I continue to select the lowest recording quality mode of Medium. Yet the fans go up to 6200 RPM and the video file size is twice as large. I have inspected the movie properties of files recorded under SL and Lion, and everything is the same (codec, resolution, etc), except for the kbts/sec. In that regard Lion uses about twice as much data consistently. The resulting quality of the videos is identical from what I can tell--and it's pretty easy to tell if you open up a 320x240 video full screen. That 2x data usage and 2x CPU usage is not adding to the end product.

I don't dare call AppleCare with this problem because I have trouble explaining more basic issues to them (such as what safe sleep mode is, or the last representative I spoke to who insisted my computer's battery was removable for the purpose of resetting the SMC when mine is the new sealed "will void your warranty if remove it" battery--she insisted on getting the instructions for me to reset the SMC when I already knew how). I don't think Apple could help with this unless I could speak to an engineer.

I am sorry to vent so much. I've just had a hard day, and this upgrade didn't go like I had hoped. Does anyone know 1) How to change the parameters of the way Quicktime records video using Terminal or 2) How to contact an Apple engineer?

2. lacanadienne macrumors newbie

Same issue here

Did you ever find a resolution?