Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Miss Shell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
This is my post from *another* message board, but reading through the posts here, there seems to be more experts hanging around, so hopefully someone can end my misery (in a positive way!)

>>
I am currently attempting to create a referenced QT movie so that I can remotely update content in a retail display. I am using high def footage, h.264 compressed (.mov file) with a Mac Mini Intel hooked up to a 65inch plasma screen display. The footage plays perfectly (on a loop) for around 2 hours at a time, and then QT (7.0.1) crashes (unexpectedly quits). Yesterday I witnessed the crash, the screen flickered green back and forth with my moving footage, then turned green, then QT Player crashed.

My referenced files vary from 10MB to 300MB in size, they play perfectly and smoothly as a referenced movie, except for the whole crashing problem after a couple of hours... Any suggestions? The Mac Mini specs are: 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo, 512 MB DDR2 SDRAM osx 10.4.6
Currently I am playing a loop of all my movies as 1 long file (2.5GB in size) with no problems, but I need to update remotely, hence the referenced movie requirements. The movie needs to be looping 24/7.

I should note I have updated to QT 7.1.1 to no avail.

Dual 2.5GHx PowerPC G5 Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Miss Shell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
additional info

I should also mention that I have tested this on my G5 in QT 7.1.1, with the same results, flickering green screen and crashing.

Even if someone can suggest a media player that will smoothly play h.264 quicktime movies in full screen mode with a loop, that would help me. So far VLC is the only player that can handle the playback smoothly, however I am suffering with the h.264 problems of the "green triangle" documented well on their forums! (Green line splitting the image in 1-3 places and fragmenting the image- though playback continues smoothly within these fragmented pieces)

Miss Shell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
So Friday afternoon probably isn't the best time to ask such a question. Does anyone have any suggestions on this now? Similar experiences? Anything that has worked for you? Any words will be much, much, much appreciated. Thanks in advance..
Shell

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.