"Quicktime Required" when trying to stream quicktime videos in SL

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ryox, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.1 on my MBP.
    I cant stream quicktime videos in safari. Every time I go to a video for example on apple.com and try to watch an iPod or Mac advert it will just tells me quicktime is required, free download. I've tried downloading quicktime 7 again but then it says that it cannot be installed because quicktime X is already installed, go to software update to install older version. Software update has no updates for me. I'm stuck, has anyone else had this problem?
    I do have Quicktime X installed but it still wont let me view the videos.
    I did a quick search but couldn't find any info on this.

2. iVoid macrumors 65816

I've seen this problem with .asx windows media stream files. It's trying to open it with Flip4Mac, which can't find Quicktime.

If I associate .asx directly with Quicktime Player X, it works. I wonder if FLip4Mac is even needed?

I'd try associating all .asx files with QUicktime Player and see if that helps.

3. Ryox thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ryox

hmm how would I do that?
    I uninstalled flip 4 mac completely, and it didn't change anything.

4. iVoid macrumors 65816

GEt Info on a .asx file (usually you can right click stream links to save as to get the asx file).

In the Open With section, select Quicktime Player and then click 'change all'.

5. full moon macrumors newbie

Go to flip4mac website and download the new beta version for SL users. If it still doesn't work, try Realplayer for mac it should run what quicktime can't.

You can find quicktime 7 in Utilities folder and quicktime x in the applications folder.

6. JediMeister macrumors 68040

To install QuickTime Player 7 on Snow Leopard: insert your Snow Leopard upgrade/install disc. Double click on the Optional Installs folder, and the Optional Installs.mpkg. Go through the installer, and click the checkmark next to QuickTime 7. Go through with the install and you will have no trouble viewing the ads.

7. Ryox thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ryox

In the end I just re installed Snow Leopard. Everything is working again.
    I already had Quicktime 7 in stalled i tried everything else and it didnt solve the problem.
    Thanks for everyone's help.