Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

actionjohnson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
Hey,
I have the lowest macbook pro,
anyways I have been trying to use the quicktime screen record function, but it slows everything down too much that anything I'd try to record would have a fair amount of lag (games mostly)
I was wondering if there is a way to make it run better, or a free or very cheap program that isn't as taxing as quicktime. I looked at it in the processes thing and it was at about 150 while everything else was about .2
Thanks in advance!

Somtaaw

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2010
Hey,
I have the lowest macbook pro,
anyways I have been trying to use the quicktime screen record function, but it slows everything down too much that anything I'd try to record would have a fair amount of lag (games mostly)
I was wondering if there is a way to make it run better, or a free or very cheap program that isn't as taxing as quicktime. I looked at it in the processes thing and it was at about 150 while everything else was about .2
Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately, this appears to be a problem with Lion. On Snow Leopard, I was able to record just fine. The moment I updated to Lion, however, I've been experiencing the same problems you have.

hehe299792458

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
Unfortunately, this appears to be a problem with Lion. On Snow Leopard, I was able to record just fine. The moment I updated to Lion, however, I've been experiencing the same problems you have.

Lion has been fine for me (in this regard at least), but then again, I haven't recorded ab=ny games

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
I use iShowU HD Pro for all my screen recording tasks. It's got a lot of great features including something called 'Low CPU mode' which delays encoding of the recorded content until after the recording session. Because encoding can be rather CPU intensive this can prevent slow performance during the recording.
Don't know how well it works on Lion though (Snow Leopard here), however the developers are constantly releasing updates and patches and really are on the ball, so I can't imagine it'll take them long to have full Lion support. Worth a few $.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.