Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

angelus512

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
I have perian installed. Was playing a xvid ac3 avi and right at the beginning for about a second it plays sound then goes dead silent.

Now you can push the curser to take you to any point during the movie and it plays sounds for about 1 seconds then stops making sound.

Works fine in VLC. But I never had this issue with SL. Anybody got any ideas? I don't have flip4mac or divx installed.

A) I don't use WMV
B) Divx is part of perian anyway right?

Madd the Sane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Utah
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I noticed that there was a delay with audio when using QuickTime X. Try using QuickTime 7.

joshmacbosh

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2009
It's not really a delay in sound though. The sound just disappears after a second. If i skip to somewhere else in the movie the sounds comes back for a second and then goes again.

joshmacbosh

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2009
I've also just noticed i don't seem to have quicktime 7. I must of lost that in various SL reinstalls

angelus512

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
What you just described Josh ismexactly my problem too. I imagine its a perian compatibility thing or a bug apple will fix soon.

John585

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2008
I'm also having a similar problem but with more apps like with dvd player and itunes. On some video files there is no sound and in others they refuse to play they are just frozen when I click play.

HunterD11

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2010
Same same

I have exactely thé same problem, everything works except sound in QT X stops after 1 second. Sound in iTunes is fine and QT7 and VLC have no probs.

have perian and xvid + mwv installed +reinstalled => nogo

:mad:

Apple service desk is looking for me now. :cool::apple:

HunterD11

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2010
Sd

Service Desk had a good look at it. They don't completely onderstaand either. Sound seems to work fine in most programs. They say ti's most likely incompatability between Perian and QTX.1 QT keeps changing and Perian does not seem to keep up. Since thé links in QT7 have not changed thé links and settings of codecs etc will work fine. Just as with VLC.

We have to wait for fix from either Apple (not likely) or Perian (seems logical) to solve this problem.

angelus512

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
Coming back to my old thread I'm going to point out that this issue still persists. And I have latest perian.

eiger3970

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2011
05 Jan 2013, I have the same problem.
Just installed Perian 1.2.3 and played a .avi file on my OS X 10.7.5.
This opened QuickTime Player 10.1 (501.29) and the audio and video play, however after about 1 second the sound stops?

Haven't found a fix yet on any Internet searches?

...5 minutes later...
Fixed!
Option to adjust codecs in Perian (no instructions how to?) or
Just download VLC for Mac...done ;-)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.