Quicktime update/ no more icons?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by woodbutcher, Jul 12, 2007.

1. woodbutcher macrumors regular

woodbutcher

since the last quicktime update 7.2 all my .avi icons show as a blank page, is this happening to anyone else?

Attached Files:

2. ivnds macrumors 6502

ivnds

Did you try, re-associating them to quicktime ?

Get info [ cmd+i] open with Quicktime.

That might restore the icon.

3. woodbutcher thread starter macrumors regular

woodbutcher

The files work fine, and open in quicktime as before, just the icons are of a blank page.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Sometimes the Finder gets a little confused about which icon to display for certain file types. You can fix individual files by opening their get info dialogs, selecting the icon and hitting delete. The only way to fix all files that I know of is clearing the icon cache - there are programs out there designed for just this purpose, though I don't know the names of any.

5. will0407 macrumors 6502a

I've got exactly the same problem. I can't figure a way to fix it. I re-installed them all using candybar, but they're not being recognised. I;ve tried a relauchn finder, and a restart, but it won't help. not sure what else to try. Is there a way to uninstall the update?
    I'd also say that the speed of loading files in quicktime has decreased, I've got 2GB ram in my Macbook, and they used to open after a few seconds tops. Now, they're taking 15 seconds plus.

6. Habusho macrumors 6502

Same problem here. My Videolan icons are now completely blank.

7. will0407 macrumors 6502a

I just dragged the previous version of QT i had on my ext hard drive back into my apps folder and replaced the new version, then re-installed the icons through candy bar and hey presto, it worked

8. absurdio macrumors 6502

I've got the same problem. I suppose it's not even a problem, per se, since the files still work fine. It is a nuisance, though. Did this happen to everyone? Is there a way to fix this without reverting to an old version of QT?

[Edit: Also, I have a rather hard time believing that these eight posts are the only information/discussion regarding this little problem. wtf.]

9. horhey23 macrumors newbie

Just updated Quicktime and the same thing happened to me. Blank icons, files play fine though. Weird, and annoying.

10. NN84 macrumors newbie

It happened to me, and I'm not happy. I figured that my OS X don't show the icons for no-H.264 encripted mp4's. Any ideas what to do?

11. TheStu macrumors 65816

Not having that problem here, closest thing I have to that is that my MKVs only show up as VLC files, instead of Quicktime as I prefer (Like to have all my video playable in Quicktime, since that also means playable in Front Row)