Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
QuickTime in macOS 10.13 doesn't seem to like large (a few gigabytes in size) video files. Every time I open one of them I have to wait half a minute so it can verify the file. It happens to both H.264 and HEVC videos. Does anyone else have the same issue on their system?

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    20 KB · Views: 571
Reactions: SKRS_411

cookies!

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
Same here. It's driving me absolutely insane. Doesn't matter what player I use either.

FCX

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2016
There is another thread here reporting same - High Sierra upgrade install vs. clean install may be a factor. Which did you do?

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
Same issue here whenever I access video files over a network share it wants to verify them. Very annoying problem. Not found a solution yet. I upgraded from Sierra to High Sierra.

Oberhorst

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2010
Stockholm
Not only QuickTime, opening large videos with Movist or VLC results in the same annoying behaviour. Upgrade from 10.12.
FileVault, GateKeeper, Firewall and even SIP are all deactivated.

Reactions: SKRS_411

kentlim

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2017
Not only QuickTime, opening large videos with Movist or VLC results in the same annoying behaviour. Upgrade from 10.12.
FileVault, GateKeeper, Firewall and even SIP are all deactivated.

Wiped out my system and did a fresh installation. The problem went away. While I'm happy with the outcome, this wasted half a day. Damn.

SKRS_411

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2018
QuickTime in macOS 10.13 doesn't seem to like large (a few gigabytes in size) video files. Every time I open one of them I have to wait half a minute so it can verify the file. It happens to both H.264 and HEVC videos. Does anyone else have the same issue on their system?
I have the same problem too
Someone plz find soln

Lars Nyheim

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2020
Here's how I fixed the problem.

Right click the video file -> Get info -> Open with -> choose another program (f.eks VLC) -> Change all.

After this my video opened in VLC when double clicking the video, and the annoying "Verifying...filename.mp4" box didn't come up.

After you have done this, you can do the same thing again, but this time you choose Quicktime as the default app to open the file type you're trying to open.

I haven't seen any other people actually solving this problem, so hopefully this will help others, too.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
Here's how I fixed the problem.

Right click the video file -> Get info -> Open with -> choose another program (f.eks VLC) -> Change all.

After this my video opened in VLC when double clicking the video, and the annoying "Verifying...filename.mp4" box didn't come up.

After you have done this, you can do the same thing again, but this time you choose Quicktime as the default app to open the file type you're trying to open.

I haven't seen any other people actually solving this problem, so hopefully this will help others, too.
This problem was an old issue with the initial release of macOS Sierra. For what I remember, it was fixed on the first .1 update or a supplemental update released not long after the .1 update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.