Quicktime video playback/scaled size change destructive?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by colinmack, Sep 9, 2008.

1. colinmack macrumors regular

As I have a large 4x3 projection TV and don't like watching everything stretched, I've been using a Visualhub setting (-f anantscdvd) to force it to encode videos with a different playback size than the actual height/width of the source video (which works great). I've also done this manually to existing Apple TV .m4v videos by opening them in Quicktime, showing the Movie Properties, and changing the playback (scaled) size in the Video Track section (I just do the math to scale it 1.333 x wider than it currently is).

From what I understand, this affects the playback/display size only, and not the original video track - can anybody confirm? When I resave it, is this a non-destructive/lossless edit to the video file (so if I change TVs or want to watch something on another widescreen TV in the future, I can change the size back down later without losing any quality)?

Thanks...

2. colinmack thread starter macrumors regular

Does nobody know whether changing the video playback/scaled size in Quicktime is destructive (ie. is it a lossless change that re-writes the original audio/video tracks intact)?

Thanks...