Quicktime vs iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dimanche, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Dimanche macrumors newbie

I tried using Quicktime to play a cd (have only had a Mac for a few days), but it only provides options for dvds. Am I missing something here?

Since I will basically be using it only to listen to music cd, I would prefer to use Quicktime (I'm more familiar with it since I used in on my pc) instead of iTunes. Of course, I welcome any suggestions you may have as to why I should use one over the other. Thanks!

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

QuickTime is the native media layer in OS X that plays all your audio and video, that is if its compatible and you arent using a third party player like VLC or MPlayer. iTunes uses QuickTime to play audio and video and so does QuickTime Player (the application)… obviously :D

iTunes is better for playing CDs as it searches for the track names using Gracenote (if the meta data isnt already on the CD) and displays the track listing nicely. then you can then 'rip' it too your music library.

QuickTime Player is good for playing audio or videos files on your hard disk but iTunes is better for organising your music and videos and syncing them to your iPod/iPhone.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Quicktime Player is great for listening to single tracks and video files but I don't know how useable it would be with an audio CD. I'd just use iTunes, at least that way you can get CDDB track names.

5. Magaidh macrumors newbie

I use iTunes, but you can get WMP for Mac and RealPlayer for Mac.

6. Dimanche thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

I really appreciate your comments and suggestions.