Quicktime vs VLC

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by axeldtf, Apr 19, 2007.

1. axeldtf macrumors 6502

I've noticed when watching big files on quicktime the video image fetches up. when in watch the same files on vlc it plays fine. Is there any settings on quicktime i should adjust? Does anyone have the same problem?

2. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

What format are the files in? AFAIK, Quicktime uses different codecs than VLC to interpret video files, which is why you'd have different results with the same file. You can try the Perian plugin for Quicktime, which basically makes Quicktime like VLC.

3. axeldtf thread starter macrumors 6502

they are .avi files. about 100mbs or more. i have that same problem on vlc sometimes. Even when i download tv shows from itunes they freeze up on their own. I have 768 of ram on an imac g5.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

.avi is not a codec, it is a container format. The fact that you have problems with it in VLC may indicate that they were generated using a proprietary codec or a proprietary variation on a standard codec. VLC should, however, be able to identify the codec used. Open a file in VLC. Select the Window > Information menu item of press [apple]+[ i ].

5. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

yeah i have this problem. i put it down to the fact that i run it through a projector to watch films and that was causing it not to be synced, but if others are having the same problem then that would make sense.

i'll have a go at using VLC tonight then

6. axeldtf thread starter macrumors 6502

I checked the video codec :xvid 1280x720. does this help?

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Yes, that helps a lot. These files are supposedly a high-def video. The Xvid codec is an opensource version of DivX which is, in turn, a knock-off of MPEG-4. These are all highly compressed formats, which may require a lot of computational power to decode. I notice that you did not tell us which computer model or OS version you are running. From the looks of it, it seems that your computer is having difficulty mustering the computational power required to decode your files.

8. axeldtf thread starter macrumors 6502

i'm running os x10.3.9 on an imac g5 768 of ram

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You are running an old computer with less RAM than I would like and have chosen not to upgrade your original OS. It is difficult to say how much of each of these issues contributes to your problems, but it is likely that each of them contributes a bit. One thing that you can do is to maintain 10% of your hard drive capacity as free space.

10. axeldtf thread starter macrumors 6502

11. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

Well turns out VLC seems to make no difference so it must be down to the projector

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Your projector is just a monitor; it is not an intelligent peripheral. It has absolutely no preference for VLC or any other application. At worst, you do not have the proper settings in the Displays preferences pane.