quicktime windows wont maximize?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by slug420, Jul 20, 2007.

1. slug420 macrumors regular

just what the topic says, as of late when I click on the + to maximize a video that is playing in quick time nothing happens. Sometimes it will seemingly randomly adjust the location and slightly adjust the size, but its certainly not maximizing it.

Also, I have a dual head computer, how can I fullscreen a video playing in quicktime in one screen while the other is still a usable desktop?

Thanks

2. Carrot007 macrumors regular

Carrot007

FYI: The + button is not a maximize button. There is no maximize button , maybe you are thinking of windows.

3. slug420 thread starter macrumors regular

what does the + do? it seems to have an effect very similar to maximizing on most applications...including quicktime until recently

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

5. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Happened to me too after latest update, but you can use the menu to maximise it.

6. Georgee3 macrumors newbie

That's different

That site explains how the so-called "zoom" (+) button will toggle in-between whatever you resize it to manually, and the original size it was programed to open with.

Quicktime used to also ZOOM the window to the "fit to screen" mode automatically when clicking the + button, when you open a new movie. I found that extremely useful. A really quick way to expand the viewing screen. Yes you can find the same command in the menu, or find the command plus 3 buttons, or manually drag the window larger. BUT THAT WAS THE FASTEST WAY THERE because most likely your hand was already on your mouse. I am pissed that they apparently took this feature out in the latest update!

Apple, please fix this back in your next update!

7. timothymallon macrumors newbie

I dont believe the original poster intended "fullscreen" in his/her message. The information given was quite suffient to understand what they really meant without the condescending behavior of giving a lesson in Maximize_VS_Zoom. The + sign AKA Maximize in Windblows, when the window is currently small (Restore Down when it is currently maximized) usually makes the program run in a larger window, taking up the desktop acreage completely...or almost completely. The problem in question is in regards to Apple releasing an update to Quicktime 7, that came out over a year ago now that broke that button. In the past, it DID maximize the screen. Not fullscreen but maximized.

I dont believe Apple took that feature away, as Apple+3 still works AND the + button still exists and changes color when hovering over it. It also will restore to the small size once you have it fit to screen, AND will maximize again within a video session if you click it again. If it were a removed feature, they would have either grayed it out or removed the button all together and it wouldnt re-zoom or restore down. It simply wouldnt work.

What the person wants to know, and I think all of us who are having this problem want to know is, is this a KNOWN bug in Quicktime and is there a simple way of fixing it?

8. portent macrumors 6502a

The zoom button in the current version of QuickTime Player switches between the original movie size and the "user-defined" size.

So, if you open a movie and drag it to a custom (manual) size, then the zoom button switches between that size and the original size. If you use the Double Size (Command-2) command, it will switch between the doubled size and the original size, and so on.

This is the correct behavior for a zoom button, not a bug, and complies with the OS X UI guidelines. (Indeed, it fixes a bug in previous versions.) There are commands to auto-size the window, as has been pointed out. These commands do not correspond to the appropriate behavior for a zoom button on the Mac.

[size=-2](Of course, you are free to disagree with those guidelines. You are entirely free to bitch and moan about them as much as you like. You are entitled to your opinion. But I doubt Apple will have a change of heart on this one.)[/size]