Quicktime won't play download .avi files that I downloaded?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SethRogen, Jan 5, 2012.

1. SethRogen, Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Not too sure if I should be telling you how to play a pirated movie when discussions of piracy are not allowed on MacRumors.

3. simsaladimbamba

Are they downloaded .avi files you downloaded or are they download .avi files you downloaded? I always confuse redundacy.

----------

But we can actually say, that one needs Windows Media Player, can't we? Since .avi is a Windows format, one needs Windows software.
    Or am I just baloney here with my general assumptions and false and calamitous statements?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If I recalled correctly, Windows Media Player for Mac stopped working with the release of Tiger and was never updated.

5. simsaladimbamba

There was a version of that? I liked 6.4, but after that it slowly went downhill for me, on the Windows side, that's when I switched to "bsplayer", which had a lot of functions, which that other player, that always gets recommended, didn't have yet in 2004.

6. aristobrat macrumors G5

Or the proper codec? After installing Perian, I've come across very few files that QuickTime won't play. And for those, VLC or MPlayerX usually work.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yep. I think it was version 9. Looked just like the XP version. Didn't fit in with the rest of Mac's Aqua UI too well.