Quicktime won't play download .avi files that I downloaded?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Not too sure if I should be telling you how to play a pirated movie when discussions of piracy are not allowed on MacRumors.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Are they downloaded .avi files you downloaded or are they download .avi files you downloaded? I always confuse redundacy.

----------

Not too sure if I should be telling you how to play a pirated movie when discussions of piracy are not allowed on MacRumors.
But we can actually say, that one needs Windows Media Player, can't we? Since .avi is a Windows format, one needs Windows software.
Or am I just baloney here with my general assumptions and false and calamitous statements?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
But we can actually say, that one needs Windows Media Player, can't we? Since .avi is a Windows format, one needs Windows software.
Or am I just baloney here with my general assumptions and false and calamitous statements?
If I recalled correctly, Windows Media Player for Mac stopped working with the release of Tiger and was never updated.

Nov 28, 2010
located
If I recalled correctly, Windows Media Player for Mac stopped working with the release of Tiger and was never updated.
There was a version of that? I liked 6.4, but after that it slowly went downhill for me, on the Windows side, that's when I switched to "bsplayer", which had a lot of functions, which that other player, that always gets recommended, didn't have yet in 2004.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Or the proper codec? After installing Perian, I've come across very few files that QuickTime won't play. And for those, VLC or MPlayerX usually work.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
There was a version of that? I liked 6.4, but after that it slowly went downhill for me, on the Windows side, that's when I switched to "bsplayer", which had a lot of functions, which that other player, that always gets recommended, didn't have yet in 2004.
Yep. I think it was version 9. Looked just like the XP version. Didn't fit in with the rest of Mac's Aqua UI too well.