Quicktime won't play in iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by southie, May 22, 2009.

1. southie macrumors newbie

Hi there, wondering if anyone can help...

I've spent the whole day banging my head against a wall trying to get embedded video to play on the iphone. There was a very helpful post in 2008 which I followed but I still can't get it to work...

I have exported the video from Quicktime, used the helpful code from the Readme.html files. Plays fine on my desktop. When I try to load the page in my iphone it briefly shows the poster image, then I get the greyed out square with the play button crossed through.

Tried changing the links, tried everything. Got very sore eyes and a headache.

Appreciate any help you may be able to give.

Rich

2. Riemann Zeta macrumors 6502a

Did you export it as an MP4 file with the following parameters:

H264 Video Encoding - 720*400 (or lower) resolution @ <1.5Mbps
    AAC Audio Encoding - 128kbps VBR (or lower)
    Main Profile, Non-streaming (for Download)

If so, you should be able to drag and drop it to the 'movies' tab in iTunes. If the movie still doesn't work, you could use a different encoder, like x264 (featured in Handbrake, xFFMPEG, etc...).

3. southie thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi

The video was exported using Quicktime 'Export for web'/iphone default settings. I've got three different movies, a 3gp and 2 m4v... all referenced by a master.mov file. Aparently the iphone is automatically supposed to pick which one to play!

R

I've tried all three movies in itunes and they work fine.