Quicktime X 'additional software' needed for Apple HD trailers?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lopoz, Jan 21, 2010.

1. lopoz macrumors regular

Hello,

Today I wanted to view a trailer on the Apple Trailers page, but when I click an arbitrary HD trailer, I get this error message (in a new QTX window):
    The movie “inserttrailernamehere.mov” can’t be opened.
    You may need to install additional software to open this type of file.

Which is complete BS.. Same happens when trying to open non-HD material, but then I get a QT player in the browser with a question mark in it..

Any ideas?

Tried using Firefox 3.6RC2 and Safari (in 64- and 32-bit mode). Running a summer 2007 model MBP.

Thanks for any help!

2. greg400 macrumors 6502

Install Perian and see if the file plays after it is installed.

3. lopoz thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, but I have Perian installed. And that can't be the problem, as Apple's own trailers should play in QT without any need for additional software..

4. greg400 macrumors 6502

Hmm, I just received the error as well. It happened on one of the older looking movie trailer pages.

New movie trailer page that worked fine when I played the trailer:
    http://www.apple.com/trailers/imax/hubble3d/

Old trailer page that doesn't work:
    http://www.apple.com/trailers/focus_features/coraline/

My guess it that they are currently redoing the website and the older pages will no longer work until they update them. It definitely isn't a problem with QuickTime, just Apple's trailer server.

5. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I just tried it. It not our machines, it's on Apples end. I play these trailers all the time and this is the first time I've seen this error.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I can watch old and new trailers just fine, be it in HD (480p or 720p) or the in-browser choices.
    I watched Coraline yesterday and tried it again today. The only "problem" I encountered is that the Featurette seemed out of synch, but that can be on my end.

I have QuickTime Player version 10.0 (90.3.1) and Mac OS X 10.6.2 (Build 10C540) with Safari 4.0.4 (6531.21.10) on an 2007 Alu iMac.

7. lopoz thread starter macrumors regular

That's good to know! I was going crazy trying to figure out what the problem could be.. Shame on you Apple, for making me doubt my Mac!

Odd.. Maybe it depends on the user location? I'm in the Netherlands..

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I'm currently residing in Germany.

9. pamies macrumors newbie

Same issue here in Norway. Seems none of the trailers (HD download or in the browser) are working.

Also tried viewing trailers in my Boot Camp partition (windows 7) and get the same thing.

All software in both players is fully up to date, and this only started happening today (at least, last week all was fine).

10. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

off topic- but why does apple's website have movie trailers?

11. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

To showcase QT's abilities, the H64 codec for example.

12. Whittington macrumors newbie

Same thing happening to me (I am in the UK). Trailers seem to run on the movie's own website, just not on the Apple Trailers site (e.g., Clash of the Titans). Instead I am told in a pop-up that 'The movie xxxx.mov can't be opened. You may need to install additional software to open this type of file', but when I follow the link that says Tell Me More all I get is a list of the media formats supported by Quicktime. Erm, knew that.

Is this something to do with software updates, or Apple's Trailers site? I noted that the individual pages for each film on the Apple site have been redesigned.

I am not at all technically minded, just a user. I'm been trying to figure this one out, and it's frustrating. I don't want to have to (can't) mess around with the system.

13. glenn4dde macrumors newbie

I'm a relatively new Mac user and I thought it was something I did wrong. I'm glad to see others are having the issue as well. It just started this morning, and I know I was watching some trailers late last week.

For what it's worth, I did install some updates from Apple this morning, then rebooted and that's when I saw the problems.

14. lopoz thread starter macrumors regular

Funny you should mention that, as I also have a feeling it started after I installed the recent Security Update for Snow Leopard.. Anyone else notice this?

15. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Then the Security Update 2010-001 seems to be the culprit, as I haven't installed it yet.

16. Rustus Maximus macrumors 6502

Rustus Maximus

Problem seems to be on Apple's end

As stated above it does seem to be a problem on Apple's end. If you look at the URL of the links they start with 'movies.apple.com'. Copy and paste that link replacing it with 'www.apple.com' and the movie should play fine.

17. SamNeeds macrumors regular

Same here... very inconvenient.

Do you also get the same problem with the Yahoo HD Trailers? I have done for as long as I can remember, so I don't think its related to this.

18. 50548 Guest

I can confirm the issue appears after installing the latest Sec. Update...no fix has been found yet, although I am able to play most non-HD trailers and, sometimes, also HD trailers...really difficult to troubleshoot this, as deleting prefs didn't do a thing for me.