Quicktime X Airplay

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by PhazonUK, Jun 14, 2012.

1. PhazonUK macrumors 6502

Am I right in saying that Apple mentioned that 10.8 would bring Airplay to Quicktime X in a similar way that iTunes currently has it?

And if so, would that mean that I could play, for example, an AVI file in QTX using Perian and then Airplay that to my ATV? Or will it still have to be MP4 for that to work?

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

I don’t recall Apple saying anything about Quicktime X - there is certainly nothing about such a feature on their website. They did announce Airplay screen mirroring which broadcasts your entire desktop onto a TV with Apple TV but that isn’t what you are looking for.

3. PhazonUK thread starter macrumors 6502

I seem to remember them mentioning it when they first unveiled ML, and I also found it mentioned here.

But as you say, there is no mention of it from Apple and I haven't heard anything about it at WWDC.

4. gentlefury macrumors 68030

ML is supposed to have Airplay implemented throughout the system, including mirroring.

5. pdjudd macrumors 601

Everything that I have heard from Apple indicates that it is just mirroring - thats it.

6. gentlefury macrumors 68030

even if it is "just mirroring" that includes video and audio. So technically yes it would include QT in a roundabout way.

7. pdjudd macrumors 601

In some way yes - I do wonder how optimized video will be when you have to include the whole desktop. We shall see when it rolls out fully I suppose.

8. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Perian uses the "old" QT-API (not the new Mountain Lion QT-API), so i'm not sure that ML AirPlay supports Perian-decoded content. However, AirPlay encodes decoded QT-content (QuickTime X, iTunes and so on) in realtime via Intels Quick Sync hardware unit, so the source (decoded picture source) should not matter.

9. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I have a program called Air Parrot and it lets you airplay your desktop to your Apple TV and it plays video quite well. A native implementation should technically be even better. They are bragging that you can use it to stream games to the screen.....so it has to be good...since control latency would be a major issue otherwise.