Quicktime X is fixed (almost)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by *LTD*, Apr 1, 2010.

1. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Quicktime X can now open large movie files (like mkv files) without taking forever. It's almost instantaneous, actually. Except that you still can't fast forward beyond what Quicktime X has loaded up to that point, or so it appears.

It's an improvement but I still need Movist and VLC on hand.

2. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I have some H.264 1440x1080i files, about 1.5GB each. Quicktime X chokes on all of them. Sure they are being pulled over the network, but VLC has no problem. And there is plenty of bandwidth available.

Although, Quicktime 7 gets all choked up as well.

I just don't use Quicktime.

3. larkost macrumors 6502a

QuickTime X does not handle mkv files at all. Instead you are using QuickTime X Player, which then uses the QuickTime 7 frameworks, which also cannot play mkv files. Rather the QuickTime 7 framework has plugins (QuickTime X does not at this point), and you are using some plugin there (Perian maybe) to play it. The progressive encoding is that pluggin doing that to convert it in memory to a format that QuickTime can then handle. So that behavior is actually in the plugin, who is probably doing it because the way mkv encodes time is subtly off from QuickTime's notion (so it has to do a progressive translation).