Quicktime X is useless !!! What should I do?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by g725s, Oct 3, 2009.

1. g725s macrumors member

How do I revert back to the old QuickTime and Flip4Mac so I can listen and watch things on the web?

Or what should I do to watch and/or listen to Windows Media and Real Media now that I am upgraded to 10.6 Snow Leopard?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Put in your Snow Leopard disc, select Optional Installs and choose Quicktime 7.

3. pdjudd macrumors 601

Telestream has a beta of Flip4 Mac that works for Snow Leopard and it should work with Quicktime X and 7. I use X and it does the job for me just fine.

As for Real Media, you are going to have problems due to the proprietary nature of Real’s formats. I just got the official player but I don’t know if that works for Snow Leopard yet as I have yet to encounter Real files - they aren’t all that common in my daily web surfing.

4. g725s thread starter macrumors member

5. g725s thread starter macrumors member

6. g725s thread starter macrumors member

7. g725s thread starter macrumors member

8. g725s thread starter macrumors member

So Apple does not make a Window Media player for OS X 10.6 to spite Microsoft, not even considering that it makes Apple users suffer?

9. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

The only WMV files I have trouble with are the WMP10 protected files, since Microsoft hasn't licensed out the protection so you can only watch it on Windows. All other WMP files work fine using Quicktime and Flip4Mac. Is there a particular site you're having problems with?

10. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

It's up to Microsoft to do that--it's their app, not Apple's. Nothing to do with spite. Like Apple (not Microsoft) makes Quicktime for Windows. There is an OS X version of WMP from a while ago, but I don't know if it works on Snow Leopard. It's pretty terrible anyway.

--Eric

11. dbwie macrumors 6502

Quicktime X and Flip4Mac (after an update) work together fine for me in Snow Leopard, just as they did in Leopard. What videos are you trying to view?

12. kolax macrumors G3

I wish Flip4Mac worked properly in QuickTime 7 on Snow Leopard. I can't change .wmv files to permanently be opened with QuickTime 7. It always opens QuickTime X (so I lack the instant play etc..).

Am I missing something..? Also, each time I open a .wmv file, OS X tells me it is an "application downloaded from the internet, and am I sure I want to open it". Is this because Flip4Mac is still in beta?

The main issue is that I can't get QuickTime 7 to be the default player for .wmv files.

13. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Clearly yes. Everyone has told you that Flip4Mac works just fine Snow Leopard. You refuse to accept this information and you refuse to say which videos are giving you a problem.

As for making the QuickTime Player or QuickTime X your default app for WMV, you are barking up the wrong tree. You should make Flip4Mac's WMV Player the default app for WMV. The WMV Player does not actually play WMVs. It handles their icons and points them to the QuickTime Player which plays them with the help of the Flip4Mac codec.

14. kolax macrumors G3

It is a beta. I was clearly checking if anyone else had that issue or if it is just me. And it is .wmv files - ones that worked fine in Leopard.

Yep - only that opens QuickTime X, not QuickTime 7 like I want. Understand?

15. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Earth to Kilamite: Most of us can read. The Snow Leopard-compatible version of Flip4Mac is clearly labeled beta. This is the version--the only version--that people are telling you that works.

16. kolax macrumors G3

What the heck is your problem? Are you just going to give useless replies rather than trying to help me?

I want Flip4Mac to open .wmv files in QuickTime 7, not QuickTime X. If you can't help me, stop being a bloody troll eh.

Earth to MisterMe eh? Maybe you should read what I'm asking..

17. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Find a .wmv file on your disk. Press Apple+I to bring up the info window. In the Open with box, tell it to open with Quicktime Player 7. Press the Change All button.

18. kolax macrumors G3

That's what I've been doing, only it only changes it for that one .wmv file, not all of them. Even when I press Change All.

For the one .wmv file it changes, it works fine.

19. dbwie macrumors 6502

This is not a solution, but maybe if you are downloading wmv files, just put Quicktime 7 in your dock, and drag+drop the downloaded wmv file on it. That would be easier than going to get info, etc.