QuickTime X not playing .mov files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macuserx86, Jan 26, 2010.

1. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

I attempted to view a movie trailer off Apple.com, something which I often do with QuickTime X, but it didn't work. 3 or 4 error messages popped up. I have perian and flip4mac installed, but I've always had those installed. any ideas?

[​IMG]

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I have the same problems when watching film adverts from the Apple website. Never been able to get it to work.

3. macuserx86 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

At least I'm not alone. The odd thing is that I was able to watch them just a few days ago. This is one of those little things that pisses me off. lol

4. xeex macrumors member

Wow! thank god Im not alone, i have been installing and reinstalling damn quicktime and its plug ins for 2 days straight. Repaired the permissions and all sort but still no luck, deleted all third party plug ins and still no luck, it looks like it has got something to do with 10.6.2 because fresh install of OSX cured the problem.

The only thing that defers on my mac is that I have a big question mark when i try to load trailers, stating that I have a missing quicktime plug in, which i dont.

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Had the same yesterday. Can use QT 7 or VLC as an alternative luckily (I downloaded the HD files in the end, rather than streaming, which seemed to be the problem).

QT X is getting an update in 10.6.3 anyhow so that'll be with us shortly.

6. macuserx86 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

This is just getting more weird, i did a permissions repair, and it seems to work now. Hopefully this gets addressed in 10.6.3.

7. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

I did a permissions repair just now. It didn't work. Seems to be Apple's side as nothing really has changed client side.