Quicktime X not working with avi files. Perian makes no difference,worked fine before

Discussion in 'macOS' started by al82, Aug 30, 2009.

1. al82 macrumors regular

I installed perian a year ago on os x leopard and never had a problem watching any videos on quicktime.

I upgraded to snow leopard, installed perian again (and flip4mac and divx codecs) and now the avi files i have no longer work.

Apples website says it should but it does not. I havent upgraded my macbook yet so i put the avi file on a usb stick and tried it on my macbook running os x leopard and it ran fine.

The only avi file i got to work was one that was converted (originally a .mov file).

Anyone managed to get avi's to work on quicktime x?

2. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Hm. My AVI files are all playing fine in Quicktime X and I never installed Perian.

3. al82 thread starter macrumors regular

I googled this an there are many people having this issue and resorting to using vlc.

I wonder why only some are having this issue.

As i said if i convert an avi myself no problems. If i watch an avi file that i havent personally converted using visual hub it wont work.

4. duncan35 macrumors member

same problem ... .avi files that worked before sl no longer have audio in quicktime X. i've tried a million things. they work fine in vlc, so that's ok, but i have to solve this problem because it's so stupid.

all my searching on the internet has made it clear this is a very common sl upgrade problem, so i imagine the solution will become apparent pretty soon. still, it's annoying me.

please post if you've figured this out. thanks.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Not having any issues. All my avi files playback fine in Quicktime X with Perian 1.1.4 installed.

6. leslielescie macrumors newbie

leslielescie

hmmmm//..

Grrrrrr....
    That is so stupid..
    The chart doesn't say they won't support avi files..
    Does that have any connection with moving PC ..
    Hope someone here could solve it...

7. iVoid macrumors 65816

Keep in mind that AVI files can use different codecs, so it's likely that some avi files will play in QTX and some won't depending on the codec.

If you can identify the codec used, that might help.

Likely you'll have to use VLC or Quicktime 7 to play those files until WTZ gets more support.

8. giwr macrumors newbie

Same problems with mkv files

Perian makes no difference and vlc doesn't open .mkv.
    I found this:

If you are used Perian to watch Matroska movies in QuickTime Player, you are in for a surprise on Snow Leopard and QuickTime X. There is just no way you get those movies to load, the dock icon will refuse them as does the open panel. That is due to the fact that the system has no type for Matroska videos, and QuickTime X now uses Universal Type Identifiers. How to fix? Tell the system that mkv conforms to public.audiovisual-content, this is best be done in an Info.plist of any app (I’m thinking of submitting a patch to VLC player for this), just add these as top level entry in the plist. continued here:

http://ran-dom.tumblr.com/post/184465065/mkv-perian-and-quicktime-x :confused: