quicktime x question?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by redsoxfan626, Aug 24, 2009.

1. redsoxfan626 macrumors member

i have a macbook, running tiger (10.4.11). i'm considering buying quicktime 7 pro but i know that quicktime x is coming out with snow leopard on friday. i don't want snow leopard, but i do want the most up to date quicktime i can get. so i have a few questions:

1. will quicktime x be sold separately? or only with snow leopard?
    2. if it is sold separately, will it be compatible with tiger?
    3. if it's not sold separately or if it's not compatible with tiger (meaning if i can't get quicktime x), will i still be able to buy quicktime 7 pro? or will they take that off as a way to get me to pay more for snow leopard?

thanks.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Quicktime X is a part of SL. I don't see it coming out for Tiger or Leopard.

If you are looking to get QT7 Pro, go for it. Supposedly, SL users will be able to install QT7 in order to get the pro features that QTX is missing.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Won't be sold separately, won't be available for Tiger or Leopard.

4. idonotliketostu macrumors 6502

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Aaaand you're completely wrong. QuickTime Pro 7 is perfectly installable.

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

7. redsoxfan626 thread starter macrumors member

r.j.s and tallest skil: thank you for your answers. but the few answers after that are confusing me. basically, what i want to know is this: as a mac os 10.4.11 (tiger) user, will i be able to install quicktime x, without getting snow leopard (will it be sold separately)? thanks.

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Nope. QuickTime X is 10.6 and up only.

9. redsoxfan626 thread starter macrumors member

10. steveOooo macrumors 6502a

i have qt7 pro - can i transfer pro features to qt x?

11. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

In the past you needed to re-buy QT Pro for every major version. My understanding was that there was no pro version of QT X: the standard version has all the Pro features included for "free".

12. devburke Guest

No, there is no Pro for QTX, but you can just install QT7 Pro alongside QTX. If you upgrade, QTP will go right with it. If you're gonna do a fresh install and erase your HD, you'll want to take note of your serial number, and be sure to install QT7 when you install Snow Leopard (it's an optional install on the disc).

QTX has some of QTP's features, like basic video editing, but it's not as powerful as QTP, so you'll want both if you already paid for QTP.

13. steveOooo macrumors 6502a

im expecting final cut studio 3 soon so probably ill install snow leopard with qt7 and then ill install final cut studio 3 which will give me pro features automatically.