Quicktime X seems just as useless as Quicktime 7

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ASFx, Sep 3, 2009.

1. ASFx macrumors regular

I was really hoping for Quicktime X to be great, but it seems just about as useless as Quicktime 7. It can hardly play ANY of my videos due to lack of codec support. Once again I had to go download VLC to play any videos.

Can Quicktime X be made useful somehow so i don't have to rely on VLC all the time?

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Two things that I always install is Flip4Mac and Perian. It should allow you to play a lot more in QuickTime X.

3. ThundrChicken macrumors newbie

Right now Quicktime X still relies heavily on Quicktime 7's foundation to do a lot of things. I would assume that its transition to a more powerful player than 7 is still quite far away. For now you can use Perian and Flip4Mac to handle pretty much nearly every format out there.

4. ASFx thread starter macrumors regular

I remember when I first got my mac pro last year, i installed both of these and something totally screwed up quicktime and made it worse. That's what pushed me to VLC originally. I just took the risk and installed both again though, and things seem to be fine so far. It plays all my videos now so thats nice :)