QuickTime X seems to be better than standard QT but less than Pro.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Quillz, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

Based on the current leaked build of SL, it seems that QuickTime X is far better than the standard QuickTime 7, but still lacks some of the features that were in QuickTime Pro. It gains some former Pro-only features like being able to save for the web, or exporting to other formats like the iPhone.

Thus, I think Apple is going to be discontinuing QuickTime Pro (because honestly, it was so easy to pirate, who would spend $29 on it?) and will simply add more former Pro-only features as updates to SL are imminent.

Also, for those curious, at the moment, it doesn't seem to support any more codecs than the current QT does. I still can't play .wmv, .avi or .mkv without the help of Perian.

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I agree, I was just using the Screen Recording, which is nice, but it's lacking some Pro features.

I wouldn't expect it to support any more codecs than 7.

3. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

4. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Hope so too.

At the moment, Quicktime Pro does that.

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

File > Open Image Sequence ?

Ain't there in QTX

They might still add it.

6. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Spawns 32-bit helper processes. Only thing that's 64-bit is the UI, which doesn't benefit much from it. That said, I like the new UI. The export UI is finally usable, and the clean player UI makes it great to leave to the side whilst you're doing something.

Also, built-in codec support still blows.

Attached Files: