Quicktime X will not play .mov files.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by droidit1, Nov 21, 2009.

1. droidit1 macrumors newbie

Quicktime X will not play .mov files. Mac Book Pro running Snow Leopard. Why?

2. xStep macrumors 68000

.mov files are container files. It is likely that the codec inside of the file is something that QT X does not understand. When QT X does not understand a file, it is suppose to load QuickTime Player 7, if available. You can install that via the OS X install DVD. It will end up in the Applications/Utilities folder.

3. droidit1 thread starter macrumors newbie

QT won't play .mov files.

I took the CD with the QT files to the local Apple Store and it played just fine on every computer n the store. It plays on my Mac Pro fine as well as my MAc Book Pro, however it won't play on a friends iMAC (new) and another friends Mac Book Pro. They both have QT X. So what are those machines missing?

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You might need to install the older version of quicktime.

5. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

What he said, have your friends bust out their SL install DVD, go to option install and they will be able to install QT 7.

6. Psugar macrumors newbie

I tried to go through the quicktime website and download the qt7 installer dmg but when I go through the installation process it says it cannot install it on a drive where qtX exists, and it will not give any options to continue. Are they even working on this problem?? If not what else can I do to play a .mov file on my macbook pro

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

AFAIK, you are the first to report this issue. Which version of QT 7 are you trying to install? Virtually every system that has QT 7 and QT X simultaneously installed have them installed on the same drive. Certainly there are installed on the same drive of my system.

8. Leddy macrumors regular

The last/latest version of Quicktime 7 is 7.6.6 if this helps. It should be on your install disc in a folder called Optional Installs as pointed out. It should be a straight forward process to install it - if you are having trouble, perhaps ask someone at the Apple store for assistance.

Cheers.

9. smokescreen76 macrumors member

As one of the other posters said - QuickTime only allows you to play "codecs" which are on your system. You get a bunch of "codecs" as standard but there are other "codecs" which can be added later. If you install Final Cut Pro then you get number of extra codecs (such as the Pro Res family), Avid includes some too and then there are more made by 3rd Party companies such Sheer and DivX. Some are free, others are not. A similar system works for audio so you may find that sometimes you get video playback and not audio or vise versa.

You can usually find out what codec the video is by opening the file in Quicktime and opening the inspector (Apple + i).

If you're still having problems try opening the file in the free application VLC - this has an innate ability to playback troublesome video.

10. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

The only .MOVs my systems haven't been able to play were output from an Avid system, so they used Avid's DNxHD codec