Quicktime X won't play .mov file

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iWally, Aug 26, 2010.

1. iWally macrumors member

The underlying issue here as well is that iDVD won't recognize this file either.

My wife works for a TV station and one of the editors at the station put a video file together with Final Cut Pro and put it on our external hard drive.

The file is just over 3 gig and won't open in Quicktime. It WILL open in VLC, but I need to get it in a format that iDVD will recognize because I created a DVD menu for this video and want to add it to my DVD project.

I have some other videos she recently brought home as well in the same .mov format but they are smaller, around 800 MB and those will not play in Quicktime either, but they are recognized by iDVD when I try to add a video the DVD project.

I'm guessing I'm missing a codec here and have tried a number of them but nothing seems to work. I was able to find a free converter that converted the file to .avi and it would then open in Quicktime, but there was a logo added to the video which makes it basically useless to us.

So my questions are-

1) Is it simply too big a file for Quicktime to play? What is the max file size it will play?
    2) Is there possibly a codec I'm missing here that I haven't tried yet?
    3) What else could the problem be? :)

Thanks!

Wally

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

1. Not that I know of.
    2. Probably the ProRes codec is used, which only comes with Final Cut Pro.
    3. see 2.

Try this (http://mediainfo.massanti.com/) to find out more about the file.

You could also try MPEG Streamclip (www.squared5.com) to see if it can read the file, thus you would be able to transcode it.

Or contact the editors and let them send your wife a compatible file, either with the DV or Apple Intermediate Codec, depending on what format (SD / HD) is used and what the purpose of the file is.

If it just for plain viewing, H264 as a codec will suffice too.

3. iWally thread starter macrumors member

I tried to open with Streamclip to no avail, then tried transcribing to AVI and other formats but I'm not sure I have used the right settings to do that and ended up with just an 8 second clip of the video which is a total of 8 minutes.

I also downloaded and installed the H264 codec but it seems that does not work for viewing in Quicktime either.

Thanks for the suggestions!

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Not sure why you would need to install QuickTime 7 but it's not a step I saw mentioned above, try the following: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3678

QuickTime Player 7 will be placed in /Applications/Utilities and you can select it from the Open With option when you right-click the video file in Finder. Even if it doesn't play back, you can, from the Windows menu in QuickTime Player 7, select the Show Movie Inspector option to get information about the format. This will generally break down into separate lines, the format of the video track, and also that the audio track. The listed video codec may indicate what you will need to download to play it back.

5. iWally thread starter macrumors member

Grrrr....forgot that I had handbrake and tried that. Just loaded the file, converted to mp4 and BOOM, it works.

6. dgrash macrumors newbie

Quicktime wont play .mov

I also am having trouble viewing some video clips. I got a few .mov video clips from a filmer and i need to edit them but all i get is sound when i go to play them through quicktime x or final cut express