Quicktime X: wrong aspect ratio

Discussion in 'macOS' started by beige matchbox, Aug 29, 2009.

1. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

So far the only big annoyance with Snow Leopard, well Quicktime X at least, is for some reason it will only play some of my ripped DVDs (mpeg4) in 4:3 :eek:

The resolution of the movie is indeed 4:3, but Quicktime 7 correctly stretched it to 16:9 or there abouts where as Quicktime X seems to ignore whatever option Handbrake used when i ripped my DVDs.

Oh, and if I go full screen with Quicktime X and hit the stretch button it tries to be clever, the stretch isn't linear, the middle third doesn't get stretched, only the edges...

Attached Files:

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You need to re-encode the movie then ... if it is encoded to be 4:3, QT X is playing it right. QT7 is ignoring the actual ratio.

3. vagarach macrumors member

The simple fix: use VLC. Maybe sometime in the future QTX will include this feature from 7.

4. beige matchbox thread starter macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

It seems to be all the ones where anamorphic was selected before encoding, hard to tell exactly as theres quite a few. Every other player picks up on it, including iTunes and my iPod touch

5. TXBDan macrumors regular

click around w/ the zoom button in the QT X nav bar. mine were screwed up too, but when i unzoomed it seems to have fixed it