Quicktime X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macman4789, Aug 26, 2009.

1. macman4789 macrumors regular

Hi guys,

I've reading up on Quicktime X and reading about the new features of this player in Snow Leopard. I have however been recently looking to upgrade to quicktime pro.

Does anyone know whether this new quicktime X is going to replace quicktime pro and have all of the pro features?

Thanks

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It doesn't replace Quicktime Pro. If you have a Quicktime Pro 7 license the Snow Leopard installer will install Quicktime 7 alongside Quicktime X.

They do fairly different things.

3. maghemi macrumors 6502

4. devburke Guest

Nope. QTX gets some of the features of Pro, but not all of them, so the installer keeps QT7 Pro too if you have it.

5. cpnotebook80 macrumors 6502a

Ahh ok.Now i see.
    I installed SL and wondering why quicktime 7 was still there.
    Can I default a movie to play in quicktime x? I keep getting quicktime 7 opening to play the videos.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Think of it like this: QuickTime X is the iMovie '08 of the QuickTime world. :p

X.1 might add more, 11 might add even more; who knows.

7. SomeSwede macrumors member

Quicktime X is a big disappointment. Maybe there are great changes under the surface, but for me as an end user all i notice is a pretty interface, a lack of customization and fewer import/export possibilities.

8. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Quick question to those who have used Quicktime X, is it capable of converting files for Apple TV usage like Pro? Currently delivering training for media streaming so curious.

*Note Wouldn't get a Apple TV myself lol, have a PS3 and having now used both I find the PS3 far more versatile.

9. zerostar macrumors regular

I have a PS3 and an Apple TV and I "would" normally agree with you... Except with XBMC, Apple TV is PERFECT! Download, stream, watch, no converting, no hours to wait, nothing, I have a 5TB external array I download to and I can watch anything, 720P, AVI, MKV even a .rar will play just fine!! hahah its the most versatile unit I have used ever.

I love the Apple TV + XBMC its just TOO good! The best part is it takes 2 minutes to install on the Apple TV now :)

10. Matthew. macrumors regular

Right click on the movie, get info, select Quicktime X in the "Open with" section and choose "Change All". You will have to repeat this for each file type.

11. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

So I hear that QT X can't open a file automatic because there isn't a settings panel?
    The Danish national television have all there content in wmv here ( like BBC?) and on leopard it could watch with flip 4 mac-not so with SL it seems...:(