Quicktime

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fivetoadsloth, May 24, 2007.

1. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

I recently (As some may remember) brought my macbook to the genius bar and they replaced the harddrive. I got it back yesterday, and Now whenever I open quicktime it crashes immideatly, I than tried to play a video in itunes and itunes crashes. I than went to apple.com and went to the quicktime tab on top, and safari crashed immideatly. At the moment I am running software update, Though I dont see any quicktime/itunes updates I dont have. Any Ideas?

Thanks

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If the updates don't help, then open a new user account in System Preferences and see if the problems carry over to there, too. :)

3. fivetoadsloth thread starter macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

Forgot to mention, I tried that and It crashed in the other account as well

4. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

What system, safari, QT version do you have? I've been reading about problems on Apple Support Discussions re: QT 7.0.4 and Safari in 10.4.6. Common solutions included fixing permissions (the easiest fix), starting the computer in Safe Mode, and finally, downgrading to QT 7.0.1 and reinstalling Tiger to 10.4.5 (seems drastic).

5. fivetoadsloth thread starter macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

I movie crashes on launch as well, Gah. =[

Any ideas, Do I need to reinstall my system? Id like a work around, as it is a really inconvinient time to resintall at the moment, but i need quicktime/movies in itunes.

6. fivetoadsloth thread starter macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

Im at 10.4.9, 2.0.4 in safari and quicktime quits before I can check.

7. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Maybe try reinstalling the 10.4.9 combo update. Also, have you verified the drive in Disk Utility?

9. fivetoadsloth thread starter macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

I did verify the drive, and permissions and both came out fine. I dont think the combo update will do much as this problem started in 10.4.8 (How i got the mac back from the apple store, and persisted in 10.4.9) so it seems to be something else.

Thanks alot guys, any other ideas or will I be reinstalling my system?

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Combo updates check parts of your system that mere delta updates overlook and assume are installed correctly, that's why I recommended it. Nevertheless, there are still a few options we can try before making you reinstall. The problem seems QuickTime-related at this stage, so list the codec you see in the QuickTime folder on your hard drive's Library. Don't bother looking at your Home folder's library, since the problem occurred in the new account too. :)

11. fivetoadsloth thread starter macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

I see three + One

AppleIntermediateCodec.component
    DivX 6DEcoder.Component
    FLV. Component

And Perian.component

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, drag the second two to the Trash, and restart. If this doesn't help, then feel free to put them back in this folder and restart again. :)

13. fivetoadsloth thread starter macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

Tried it, Restarted and at first it didnt see the system software (Folder with question mark) Though after a couple flashes it started, I tried quicktime and no luck.

Thanks for help, any other ideas?

14. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

How about just keeping the Apple codec without the DivX, Flash, Perian components for now, and re-introducing them one by one?

15. fivetoadsloth thread starter macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

That didnt seem to do anything, still always crashed. :(

16. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Wow, that's a worry. Verify the drive again because that's sometimes a good sign it's being dodgy. In the Startup Disk pane of System Preferences, is the appropriate system selected (your internal drive)?

Also, if you boot into Safe Mode, does QuickTime work? To boot into Safe Mode, hold SHIFT at startup. :)

17. fivetoadsloth thread starter macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

Well, I tried to reoad osx and When I select the volume to install it to it says i cant to Macinstosh Harddrive, as it can not boot from this volume, gah. Ill try safe mode, thanks for helping guys.

:)

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, I doubt it'll help. It really sounds like something dodgy is happening with your drive again, so maybe it's time to take it back to the genius. It could be another bad drive, or perhaps a bad cable. :eek:

19. fivetoadsloth thread starter macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

Ok, Will do (In safe mode quicktime didnt work either) Just wondering however, why would only quicktime be effected, well seemingly?

20. fivetoadsloth thread starter macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

One more question, Im guessing thety are related. My boot time seems much slower than it should be, Would a failing drive only effect one specific application though? Everything else seems fine and my computer is definatly more snappy than it was with the last failing drive.

21. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's possible that the area of your drive containing some of your QuickTime data is the only dodgy part... QuickTime is pretty embedded in the system though, so as you're finding, dodgy QuickTime can have a lot of nasty effects. :eek: