Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael4824

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2008
I have a few FLAC files that I'd like to be able to play in Quicktime. I found a component for Quicktime 7 that gives the ability to play FLAC files in Quicktime 7. I'm interested in seeing if I can somehow get component to also work in QuicktimeX. However, I can't find the QuicktimeX Component folder. Does anyone know where it's located, does it share the same one as Quicktime 7, or does QuicktimeX not support components?

Thanks for the help
-Michael

larkost

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
QuickTime X does not support plugins, at least not at this point.

However, the QuickTime X Player plays content using either the QuickTime X or the QuickTime 7 frameworks. So just put the plugin in place for QuickTime 7, and carry on.

Michael4824

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2008
I've moved both of them, however, the file only plays in Quicktime 7. In QuicktimeX, it just tells me that
"The document “FileName.flac” could not be opened. QuickTime Player cannot open files of this type."

Michael4824

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2008
It's already installed.

Edit: On a side note, as I was looking closer, "flac_import_0.5b1_p0.1.dmg" contains a patch. I'm not sure what to apply it to, or how to apply it. Not sure if that's making the difference.

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
I only installed the files I mentioned in my first post, nothing else. What options do you see when you right click a flac file and got to open with?

Michael4824

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2008
Quicktime 7 (Default) [Was added by me, I changed all FLAC files to open with Quicktime 7].
Audacity
VLC

Doing an "Other" option, Quicktime X isn't able to be selected. If I choose All Programs, I get that message posted above, about the program not being able to open file "filename.flac".

I actually have them installed in both places, because I simply thought that it couldn't hurt, but do you have the files installed in the user directory, or do you have it installed system wide?

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
I installed the plugins system-wide.

With Perian installed there should be a "Perian - Open in QT Player" item in the open with menu that opens flacs directly in QTX. Are you sure Perian is correctly installed? If I remove it from my system I get the same behaviour you are describing.

Michael4824

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2008
Weirdest thing. I uninstalled Perian from the preferences panel, then I deleted the preferences link for it. I redownloaded it, and it now appears to be working. I swear I had it installed before. Maybe it has something to do with me now installing it system wide, or the fact that I installed it before Snow Leopard (And thus, before Quicktime X).

But anyways, it works! Thanks for all the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.