QuickType - does it make typing easier for you?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by GreyOS, Jun 6, 2014.

1. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Hey,

Just wondering what people's experience of QuickType is so far.

Me, I'm not so sure about it. It could just be getting used to it. But whenever I have focussed on the 3 words area to see if its suggestions can help me type my words out quicker, I find I'm just slower, waiting for the word I want to come up. I'm much quicker when I just look at the words that are coming out and tap away at each letter without looking lower down.

How it worked before (or now, but with QuickType minimised), the single suggestion you get is in exactly the right place - where the words you're typing appear - so I find that more useful.

I'm not bashing QuickType, and I know I don't have to use it. I'm just wondering how others are finding it. Also, if people who are used to this feature on other/jailbroken devices, if you could share how your experience of it changed over time, that'd be great. Maybe I'll learn to make better use of it :)

Cheers

2. rritterson macrumors 6502

It varies for me. I was able to type an entire sentence once by just typing the first letter, which happened to be a v for very. I typed v, hit very, then it suggested the rest of the words I wanted in order.

Other times, it doesn't even suggest the word until I've entirely typed it out. I'm hoping it uses a baseline language profile, then updates it over time after learning how I type. I wonder if it reads my emails I type to learn too, or just messages?

3. EdgardasB macrumors 6502a

EdgardasB

I wish Apple would bought Swiftkey or atleast would support more languages because now list of supported languages is funny by such big IT company...

4. Sound214 macrumors 6502

I can't actually believe how bad Apple are at supporting more languages. Just look at Siri, the last time they extended the language support was in 2012 with iOS 6.

Sure, they added support for dictation in a lot more languages this year, but one would imagine the step to add the same languages to Siri and QuickType isn't that big.

5. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I can confirm that it does. It is now starting to suggest words that I have added to my custom dictionary that are not even in English but get suggested in the right context.

6. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

BlackBerry used a similar autocorrect when I had a BB Storm before my iPhone. I got used to it after a while, but now I've gotten used to the one on iOS 6-7. QuickType will take some getting used to or I might just turn it off unless it can correct more of my spelling mistakes or stop correcting have to gave.

7. JohnLT13 macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

Its slowed my typing by quite a bit. On longer words it comes in handy but on 3-4 letter words I just type them out.

8. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

9. DJLC macrumors 6502a

DJLC

I don't know if I'd personally say easier, but it's still a neat feature. Most of the time I feel like it's faster for me to just type exactly what I want.

I'm pretty sure the successor to autocorrect fails will be ridiculous sentences constructed purely with QuickType. (Edit: quicktypefails.com is already parked. Ha.)

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

This feature has been avaiable in the Japanese keyboard going back to at least iOS 2, if not the very first iphone OS. I find that I can often type entire sentences by just typing the first letter of each word. I also find it easy to ignore the suggestions when the predictive typing doesn't suggest words I want.

Actually, I find the suggestion bubbles that pop up now in iOS 7 and earlier more annoying, because they jump into my field of view even when I don't want them. When predictive typing is on, does it mean I don't get the bubbles anymore? If so, I'd love that.