Quicky: Does 'export' in iPhoto compromise quality?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by KettyKrueger, Sep 30, 2008.

1. KettyKrueger macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Yeah or nay?

I've had a good search but couldn't find any answer.

Thanks.

2. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Only if you export to a lossy format. TIFF and PNG are both lossless, JPEG is lossy.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You can just drag the photo(s) to the desired folder or the desktop. It will copy the original file, and you wont lose any quality.

4. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Thanks for that.

When I used 'export' before, I used the setting 'current', so I guess that would be lossless? I think when I used it before, I checked the files sizes afterwards and they were the same as the original.

I just want to make sure before I go and ruin ALL my photos!

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Actually, no. I believe current makes a copy of the file - same as dragging it out. You shouldn't lose any info from the file that is in iPhoto, but it isn't lossless.

Lossy/lossless depends on the file format.

JPG is always lossy, every time you save a change, a little more info is thrown out, and the file gets a little bit smaller.

A lossless format is TIF or RAW - but these files are huge.

6. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Cheers for that.

Yeah, I didn't mean the file was lossless in a traditional sense, I just meanrt the act of exporting the file would result in a file that would be identical to the original, i.e. lossless.

I tried exporting a photo and importing it back in to iphoto and the files were exactly the same. Same dates, title, file size, resolution, etc. So I guess I've answered my own question!

Thanks again for the replies.

BTW, what are RAW files? I think my camera take shots in JPEG format. I guess top-end camera shoot in RAW?

7. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAW_image_format

Depends on your camera, but pretty much any DSLR will shoot RAW, and there's a few P&S out there that will, too. What's your camera make & model?