Quidco Cashback Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacFanUK, Aug 20, 2009.

1. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

I am going to be buying a fair bit of Apple stuff next month when I'm back at uni, and the bulk of it will be a MBP and 24" ACD which will be purchased from the HE Store. However, I will also be buying an AppleTV (if updated), an iPod, and some other stuff.

I was just wondering, is the Quidco cashback for specific products only or will I be able to use it on iPods, software, etc?

Thanks in advance.

2. steveOooo macrumors 6502a

quidco is not paid at all if you go thru the he store.

itll work out cheaper if you jus go thru the he store

3. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Sorry, I didn't explain myself very well.
    The plan is to buy the MBP and ACD through the HE store to get the student discount. Then if Quidco is for ipods, etc as well, I will buy all the other stuff from the regular store to get the Quidco cashback.

4. steveOooo macrumors 6502a

I think the he discount applies to ipods as well? anyway, yes best bet is to compare buying each individual item thru he VS quidco - you can still use the 'anyother school' option, which gives you £100ish off a mbp 17" + 4% off the total spent (not including vat)

"No cashback can be paid on sales made through the 'University, or other Higher Education establishment' and 'College, or other
    Further Education establishment' option."

5. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Thanks, however, I would get £129 off the 13" MBP in the HE store and get a free 3 yr warranty so will definately be buying that through the HE store. You don't get any HE discount on iPods etc.

6. steveOooo macrumors 6502a

ok, think amazon is a gd place for cheaper ipods - + youll get some nectar points (equating to around £2.)

7. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

none of you are understanding him... i agree with you mate, get everything hyou can with student discount and then use quidco for the ipods ands tuff and yes you will be able to buy them through them as they are an apple store affiliate and so anything you buy from apple store UK they will be able to give a rebate

8. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

I understand what you mean.

The answer to your question is...Quidco cashback is applied to all purchases made via the link, so that includes iPods etc. As you've already worked out, usually the best method for cashback is to buy your computer through the education store and buy the iPods etc. through Quidco.

However, that's not the whole story. Apple are running a back to school rebate scheme this year. So your best bet is to buy the Laptop and an iPod together through the HE store, then fill in the form for £145 cashback. Any other iPods etc. you can then buy through Quidco for the 4% cashback.

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/campaigns/back_to_school

AppleMatt

9. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Finally, someone understands what I was asking :) Thanks for your help.

Thanks. Yeah, I know about the back to school promo, however, unfortunately, Apple are being a bit unfair with this this year. Last year, the promo ran to the end of September in the UK.

Yeah, this meant we could get the newly released September iPods as part of the promo, but more importantly, student loans, etc aren't paid til end of September (21st or 28th, I can't remember), so I've got to wait til then to buy :(

10. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Pain. Do you or your mum/dad/friend etc. have a credit card you could use? You'd get paid your loan before the billing date so they wouldn't be charged any interest.

AppleMatt

11. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

I hadn't thought of that, but I don't think my mum trusts me where paying her back is concerned. Although, yeah, I will ask her...it's worth a shot eh? Thanks for the suggestion.

12. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

It's not supposed to work for the HE store but I've had it paid a couple of times so it's worth a try.

13. bob2131 macrumors 6502a

sorry but whats all this quidco business?

why would they give free money to a consumer?

ive heard they give £100 back if you buy the simplicity sim 02 from them.
    worth pursuing? or dodgy and not worth the bother?

thanks.

14. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

It's not dodgy at all. I've been using Quidco for years and (apparently!) earned over £1400 in Quidco cashback. Usually use it when paying for holidays though.

For O2:
    £3.50 for Pay-As-You-Go (single commission per order basis)
    £35 for 18/24 month PAYM contracts (excl. iPhone)
    £25 for Mobile Broadband PAYG
    £60 for Mobile Broadband (Pay monthly contract) or any laptop MBB bundle
    £100 for a 12 month contract SIM Only

15. bob2131 macrumors 6502a

thanks.
    so if im looking at buying a simplicity sim, i can earn £100 cashback by getting the 12month simplicity sim, correct?
    so i just go to quidco website, find the sim, and then it links me to the 02 website, and i just buy from 02 site online as usual, correct?
    no drawbacks from 02? 02 are ok with this approach?

and i just pay 02 the £20 per month as normal, and THEN i get the £100 after 12 months? it is actually £100 that i can withdraw and hold in my hand? real money? no strings?

sorry for the q's. cheers.

can i also get a quidco cashback saving actually buying the iphone too?

16. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Quidco is a pretty reputable site. It's not dodgy and O2 have to be happy with how it works as they sign up to be part of the Quidco scheme. It works in the same way as Nectar does. You get paid for referreals (links) from the site. IT's just that you get money with quidco rather than points.

You need to join Quidco first and you have to be logged in to your account for this to work.

Quidco receives payments from the merchants (O2 in this case) and then passes this onto you by way of a BACS bank transfer soon after they receive it. They pay at the end of every month.

Be aware that cashback is not guaranteed and to be fair, O2 are one of the people that I had a problem with (but Quidco ended up paying the £35 quid I was owed from their own pockets after about 2 years).

Also, some merchants take ages to pay Quidco but there are stats for the individual retailer so you can get an idea of how soon you'll get your money.

I don't think O2 pay out for iPhones. Check here:
    http://www.quidco.com/o2

17. bob2131 macrumors 6502a

thankyou.
    signing up to quidco just requirs email address? it just a coupla secs.
    so you just hope that the pay up, if not you just forget about it. sounds reasonable. i dont want no hassle man.

quidco says they dont give cashback for iphone, but when you search for iphone it says 4% cashback.

yeah ill just call up 02 and/or apple to confirm all this.
    also emailed quidco.

18. steveOooo macrumors 6502a

theres loads of 'no spend' offers - ie you get £1/£2 for getting a car insurance quote at go compare etc.. £15 for doing a free love film trial... loads and loads -

its not a con, you just pay £5 per year (if youve earnt that much) to quidco,

get 4% off at apple store, on top of the 'any other school or college' education discount.

19. bob2131 macrumors 6502a

someone said apple dont allow student discount on iphones. do they?
    so if i know a student, i can tell them to buy via quidco to get 4% off, and then also get the student discount online via apple site.......?

20. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Quidco and HE discounts don't mix... most of the time. The odd one gets accepted. Other edu discounts are okay though.

There's no discount on iPods or iPhones on the HE site.

21. bob2131 macrumors 6502a

sorry to be a pain.

student discount is too complicated, need to be logged on via school/college network. ill just stick with quidco.

quidco said about iphone and simplicity:

"As long as your transactions are correctly completed through our site, I can confirm that you would be eligible for cashback on the examples you listed.

Before proceeding with your purchases, I would advise you to read through the help pages of our site to familiarise yourself with the cashback process, and ensure that you take the appropriate steps - such as deleting cookies - before you complete any transactions."

22. steveOooo macrumors 6502a

1. any other school college + quidco - yes

2. anyother education discount + quidco - NO

inow have a nus extra card, which is a bit more than 1. above

23. AudreeArrington macrumors newbie

Hi

Thank you so much for sharing this very useful and important advice with all us. your site is very helpful. Thanks for your help. :) :)

24. bob2131 macrumors 6502a

yeah this site is the best forum for apple products ive found on net.
    if i have an issue i come here first. :)

thanks to all.