Quiet Clicking Sound from HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CWest1294, Jul 15, 2012.

1. CWest1294 macrumors newbie

I bought a new Macbook Pro Mid 2012 model with a 7200 rpm HDD and recently I have noticed a quiet clicking sound that seems to be coming from the hard drive. I ignored it at first assuming that it was a normal function of the computer, but now it clicks about every 5 seconds and is quite annoying. Is there any way to get rid of the noise or is it normal?

2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

It's the SMS sensor that Apple uses to park the drive whenever you move your MBP. It's a precautionary action to help prevent data loss in case of an impending fall.

It shouldn't be clicking every 5-seconds though.

Tons of threads on this, just search it.

3. CWest1294 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have some of the threads but each time its seems that people move their macbook while mine is completely still and on a stable surface. Also most people only notice the sounds a couple of times an hour

4. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

I would get it checked out at an Apple store. It shouldn't be clicking every 5-seconds. It could be a faulty drive. Google "click of death"

5. gentlefury macrumors 68030

clicking in a HDD is a BAD sign in my experience! With an external drive it means it will die soon.....(you can put them in the freezer overnight and retrieve your data tho.)

6. pjburgess macrumors newbie

I received a brand new mid-2012 MBP over a week ago and straight out of the box there was a periodic clicking noise from the HDD (noticeable when the HDD was "idling"). I called up Apple Care and they suggested take it to an Apple Store to get the drive replaced. So I did, and got the machine back home again to find the exact same periodic clicking noise!

I also noticed that once the "click" happens, the drive seems to "spin down" slightly and then up again (noticed by putting my ear to the casing).

So, I call up Apple Care again and they ship be a whole new MPB and the other gets returned.

Now, imagine my surprise (or rather, disappointment) when the new one arrives this morning and again, straight out of the box, there is that periodic clicking noise. Also, this time the spinning up and down noises seem to be more audible than before.

What are the chances of this happening twice in a row with two brand new machines?! I hate to think there may be a design fault. Maybe there's a power supply issue and the HDD is not getting enough juice? A friend even suggested that maybe, because I special ordered with the high-res glossy display, that it could be because of that?!

Am running out of ideas and patience!
    Going to call Apple Care again in the morning and have a good moan at them.

./p

7. CWest1294 thread starter macrumors newbie

I also chose the option of the hi res screen maybe that is having some effect on the HDD

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

No correlation at all...Back up and get that drive checked. As posted above it could be failing. It should not click at all. Better to check it now, before it fails.