Quiet/Cool MacBook when playing flash videos

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tim018, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Tim018 macrumors regular

My girlfriend has a 2011 13" macbook i5 w/ mavericks and it's been a good computer for the past couple years, but it has one issue that is pretty annoying. When playing full screen videos in chrome it spikes the cpu usage up to about 50-60%. The fans get really loud and and the bottom is really hot.

When I look in the activity monitor, I see a bunch of items named google chrome helper, the top one usually quoting 100%+ cpu usage. (yes, i'm aware that adobe flash and osx are not exactly friends :) )

Is there any way help this? I'm a computer science student, so don't be afraid to hit me with technical ideas.

Things I've tried: update osx/chrome, repair permissions, pram, smc, restart, daily/monthly/yearly scripts, check for no extra chrome extensions

Thanks guys!

2. eezacque Guest

3. Tim018 thread starter macrumors regular

What runs best on the Macintosh? Is firefox still a hog?

Thanks again!

4. konradsa macrumors regular

Safari

Also, use ClickToPlugin to use HTML5 player by default.

5. ano0oj macrumors 6502

don't be too concerned with the bottom heating up...this has always been an issue with Macs. Best thing to do is to make sure you're getting the most airflow to your mac(put it on a raised surface). Or even pick something that'll raise your mac with minimal surface contact so heat can be distributed more evenly.

6. Tim018 thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome, I'll give it a shot, thanks guys.

I've always switched back and forth between platforms and am very happy with my thinkpad right now since it is so cool and quiet. For the sake of curiosity, are there any macbooks in the current lineup that run with little/no fan noise and little external heat? I may switch back next time I buy a new computer, but fan/heat is enough to keep me away.

My worst experience is my Dad's $3k+ 1st gen retina 15" that idles at 80c with fans at 4-5k and about 3 hrs of battery.

By the way, I have zero interest in a platform war, I use and enjoy all three every day, so that is a non-issue.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

Your dad's computer obviously has a defect, a retina MBP, even the first gen, should idle at around 30-35c, 40c tops.