Quiet external HDD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by b0redom, May 17, 2007.

1. b0redom macrumors regular

2. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

All of the models I've seen that are similar to this (ie, Mac Mini form factor) use fans for cooling, so having something completely silent is not really possible if you want this shape. This was my dilemma too, so I abandoned this style and simply went for a MacPower Pleiades enclosure which is aluminium and doesn't use fans for cooling. However it has to sit next to a Mac Mini rather than underneath it, and it doesn't have the nifty feature of switching on at the same time as the Mac.

3. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

For my mac mini I use the matching (size and shape) La Cie hard drive, it is very quiet.
    I also have a maxtor 300 Gb external drive that's quiet as well.

As they say "All quiet on the western front"

FJ

4. Jim Campbell macrumors 6502a

Jim Campbell

I was about to recommend the LaCie mini-shaped one as well - it's specifically designed to allow for additional air cooling, which should reduce the reliance on the fan ...

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?find=lacie+320

FWIW, this model also comes in a 500Gb version which is better value for money, but which isn't sold through the Apple store and appears to be out of stock with LaCie themselves ... :(

Cheers

Jim

5. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

The Mini and La Cie drive are so quiet that sometimes I worry :(

But it's the nature of the beasts, they are just so quiet. If it wasn't for the little lights on the front, you wouldn't know they were running. :)

FJ