Quietest competent GPU for 5,1?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Naimfan, May 22, 2018.

1. Naimfan Suspended

Naimfan

All -

Looking for a quiet and competent GPU to install in a 5,1. Currently has a Mac version Radeon 5870; the fans in it are too noisy for where the MP is located. I've searched some, and saw a statement that most modern GPUs are inaudible, but could use some reinforcing feedback (a friend of mine keeps it in his bedroom, hence the need for quiet).

Budget is probably anything up to about $400 or so. Have looked at RX-580/GTX-1060, have read about the foibles of nVidia 10 series drivers. Would a W7000 or something similar work?

2. Squuiid macrumors 65816

Squuiid

Sapphire Radeon RX 580 PULSE 8GB.
    Totally silent at idle (fans stay off) and barely audible when they spin up.
    Also, only occupies two slots unlike the Nitro+ and many others which are 2.5.

Probably the best card to put into a cMP these days.

3. whoisandy macrumors newbie

whoisandy

I have a GTX 1070 8GB Founders Edition in my Mac Pro 5,1. I know it's top of your budget but they're $400 at Best Buy (not sure about your area - there's a few in-stock locally here according to their site). I think this card provides good bang for the buck and it doesn't require any additional modification to your mac. You just need to buy a dual mini-6 pin PCI-E to 8pin Standard PCI-E cable for the Mac Pro motherboard connectors.

The noise doesn't bother me at all when idle (I think the tower fans hide the GPU fan noise) but when doing 3D renders or anything with GPU-acceleration, of course you'll hear the fan running high but it's nothing like a jet taking off.

4. orph macrumors 68000

orph

5. pixelatedscraps macrumors 6502

pixelatedscraps

I have two RX560 2Gb cards in both my Mac Pro 5,1s and they're fantastic - silent, and have been performing very well for us. That said, we don't do any gaming on them at all.

6. h9826790 macrumors G4

h9826790

Those card only has passive cooler will be quietest.

But what GPU power you need? For high end card, the open fan type graphic card usually quieter when under stress. But will also make the whole PCIe compartment warmer.

7. bsbeamer macrumors 68000

The GTX 1080 FE runs cool and quiet when not engaging all the time. If you're not using your machine in a well ventilated space, the GPU fan is the least of the fan noise issues you'll run into. The system fans will have to cool the inside of the case down and you will (likely) hear them.

You could go with a water cooled solution, but that would require system modifications, likely using external power, and possibly either removing the side door or modifying it in some way.

There are some cooling rack cases with sound dampening if you're really looking for quiet operation. I personally find them to increase the internal temps beyond what I would recommend with lack of consistent airflow. The MacPro6,1 is often better suited to these setups.

8. h9826790 macrumors G4

h9826790

Liquid not necessary quieter because of the pump. Anyway, those hybrid card can fit inside the cMP without any mod (but still need to consider how to power the card).

9. flehman macrumors 6502

flehman

Not widely available anymore (maybe used?), but 980 runs dead quiet and cool in my MP 4,1->5,1. The fans run during high activity but I probably am hearing 80% Mac Pro fans and only 20% GPU fans.

10. bsbeamer macrumors 68000

Most of the high-end GTX cards run fairly quiet. The GTX 680 Mac Edition and GTX 1080 FE are both quiet most of the time, unless being heavily taxed by the system for processing. (For me, this is usually when rendering video.)

11. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

Competent for doing what?

12. csd macrumors newbie

+1 for the RX560. I have a Sapphire Pulse RX560 driving a LG 4K display (scaled to 2560 x 1440) and it works very well with no noise audible above that of the Mac's own fans.

/csd

13. dgarratt macrumors newbie

Hi Guys, do the AMD cards suggested above support boot screen on 4k display?

14. h9826790 macrumors G4

h9826790

NO

15. csd macrumors newbie

...but you will get a system recovery screen.

/csd