Quikbooks? Other Accounting Software for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by webella, Mar 30, 2009.

1. webella macrumors newbie

Hi,

I wondered if anyone could tell me if Quikbooks or any other financial/accounting software is best for a mac? I need a very basic software which will just be a glorified electronic check book ledger and a p/l statement.

Thanks in advance...

-w-

2. waffles123 macrumors regular

3. C01E macrumors member

C01E

Im a fan of quicken online. Its free and works pretty well...

Word has it that they are also going to release a full version of quicken for mac thats a bit newer then 2004 soon.

4. webella thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Cashbox looks great and I will also keep an eye out for Quicken on line...

thank you both for responding, much appreciated.

5. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

http://www.lyricapps.com/iCompta/

Free, and looks really nice. I didn't keep up with it though as I designed a spreadsheet tailor made for myself.

6. kenglade macrumors 6502

Talk about fortuitous. I was about ready to enter a query when i ran across this thread.

I'm planning on starting a home-based business in a couple of months -- no employees, no time sheets -- and I'm interested in a Mac-compatible financial software program. What I'd like to do is to separate my business money from my personal money, write invoices/receipts/ and keep track of local sales tax that I would have to charge my customers.

I've been using Quicken on a PC for a dozen years or more for personal finances but I'm trying to transition to the Mac and get rid of MS. I have read in several places that Quicken for Mac is, let's say, not a very satisfactory program for Mac. So I'll be switching my personal financial program as well.

I looked at poth Cashbox and iCompta and both mentioned the ability to import/export QIF files. Does that mean i could transfer all my Quicken data to either of them?

Many thanks for your attention.

7. iggypop macrumors member

another Quicken alternative

Another app that will import your Quicken transactions and accounts in QIF is iBank. You can download a free trial from http://www.iggsoftware.com/ibank/

8. dantherevelator macrumors regular

Is anyone in the beta program for Quicken Financial Life? How's it?

9. virgomac macrumors member

Its in open beta, can't remember the link off the top of my head but if you search you can find the download link.

Its VERY beta still, not alot of active features at all. So who knows how it will end up being, disappointing now though.

Me, i'm exhausted from trying to find a piece of finance software that does everything I want. I want Microsoft Money for Mac, and I know that will never happen.

10. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

Personally, i find that there is NOTHING better than QuickBooks. It is was I use for both my person finances AND at for for a rather successful company with complex books..

For a mac, however, they only have the Quickbooks Pro version, which is pretty basic.. But if thats all you want, its PERFECT!! I have it on my computer at home and have used it for my home based business and personal. At work we use Premier Manufactureres and Wholesalers product - that comes with full inventory control.

11. CyrusOz macrumors regular

Since moving across to the mac I've been looking at various proggies to produce electronic receipts. I just downloaded and tried Cash Box and found that it installed quickly but absolutely sucked to use. It was fumbly and not very easy to enter information in various fields without accidently deleted a different field.... i think Cash Box sucks, I'm continuing my search to find something work putting time into.

12. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

quickbooks for mac isnt bad for basic accounting. We have a design/photography business on our QB for mac.. and i have ran a truck driving business for mac, as well as a contractor's business. you CAN do a lot including inventory, time tracking, and estimates on it.

13. kenglade macrumors 6502

Many thanks. I'll take a look at QB, but off the top it sounds like more than I need. in the meantime I guess I'll follow an earlier poster's suggestion to just keep my PC around to use or Quicken. I'm surprised that no developer has moved into fill this very significant gap.

14. waffles123 macrumors regular

My personal favorite financial app is Squirrel. However, it cost like 20 bucks.